First Look at the new Riptide Ukuleles

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
I was contacted a few months ago by Boulder Creek guitars. They had just finished developing their new line of ukuleles that feature their signature side sound port.

After that I ordered a Boulder Creek guitar because, 1) I needed a new guitar because my Taylor is busted, and 2) I wanted to see what the side sound port sounded like. They gave me a nice discount to get my hands on it.

I've been using the BC guitar as my main gigging instrument and aside from the initial issues I had with the active pick up (turned out to be a busted channel on the mixer) it's been working out fairly well for me. There are some issues with some of the minor details and I wouldn't say its any better than my Taylor but I do think it is a good value for the price.

They recently sent over some pictures of their new uke line which will be debuting at the upcoming NAMM show in Nashville. Here's a sneak peak for you guys before they hit store shelves.

I'm trying to get my hands on one so we can get some sound samples to you.

More pics to come.

Attachments

• TBA-BLACK.jpg
    TBA-BLACK.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 142
  • TB-5NS.jpg
    TB-5NS.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 130
  • TBA-Butter cream.jpg
    TBA-Butter cream.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 125
  • UB-5NS.jpg
    UB-5NS.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 106
  • ECT-2N.jpg
    ECT-2N.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 101
moar pics ;)

Attachments

• EUC-2N.jpg
    EUC-2N.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 48
  • EUC-5GS.jpg
    EUC-5GS.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 58
  • US-5NS-9606.jpg
    US-5NS-9606.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 54
You know, it is people like you that feed my UAS. :shaka:

They are very interesting, I look forward to hearing more about them.

I'm trying to get one here at the UU home base so we can do some sound samples for you guys.

Where can one get more info and any idea on the cost?

Where can one get more info and any idea on the cost?

They haven't released any official press material yet, but they have said they will be priced competitively with other ukuleles made overseas (kala, ohana, lanikai etc)

Weird place for a side port. Seems like the sound would go in your arm pit.

The side sound port has its positives and negatives to me. By allowing a greater area to resonate, it makes the instrument a lot louder, also there's no feed back issues when gigging. Both positives. The bad thing for me is, the sound tends to blast right into my right ear and it is VERY loud. The idea of the side sound port is that the musician can hear the real sound of the instrument but for me its a little too loud and I usually wear an ear plug in my right ear now when I gig. It very well could just be I have sensitive ears though because I don't see any other BC guitar player complaining about that.

Once again not sure about the ukes, will have to wait to get our hands on one to really see.

Really? I think it would go right into my face the way I hold it.

You must hold it differently than I do, and most people I know. I have 3 ukes with side ports. All 3 are located towards the top and it shoots the sound right into my chest. It's great watching women try those ukes because their breast usually cover the port.

The side sound port has its positives and negatives to me. By allowing a greater area to resonate, it makes the instrument a lot louder, ....
It probably seems louder but from the "front" it's not that much louder.

Recommended ukulele by cup size:
A = Soprano
B= Concert
C= Tenor
D = Baritone
DD = Forget about it, I'll play for you!! :D

My wife takes offense:) She plays soprano, concert, and tenor.

Top Bottom