strange vibrations?

n0otro

Reaction score
I've been playing my new uke for a little over a week now(KoAloha Concert). As the strings have stretched and i've finally gotten it to stay in tune for more than one practice session, i've noticed strange vibrations.

A really fine high pitched echo coming from some of the strings(not sure exactly which ones, i'm writing this from work right now so I can't be more specific).

I wouldn't describe it as a buzzing, but a more high pitched ringing that continues long after i've plucked the string, (~20-30 extra seconds or so after i've plucked the string)

it makes it so if i'm strumming without muting the strings or chunking, the tone just rings and rings.

Is this normal?

This thread is the closest thing I can find to describing what I think i'm hearing.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10286&highlight=harmonic

physics of sound

I think what you're describing could be sympathetic vibrations. I have heard such strange ghostly sounds coming from my banjo. It is really kind of creepy sometimes, because it can be set off by any sound that is sympathetic to an open string. I found even my speaking voice could cause a harmonic ringing from my banjo, and I wasn't even playing it! It was sitting in it's open case just a few feet away though.

If that is what is causing it, blame physics!

–Lori

Yes, it's pretty normal for any multi-stringed instrument. A nicely balanced "blend" of all these sympathetic overtones is what makes up the distinctive "voice" of a particular instrument. Sometimes though they can downright annoying if the overtone overpowers the desired note. Sometimes a change of strings (brand, type, gauge) can change the effect. Sometimes even for the better! :shaka: Sometimes not. :confused:

I've experienced this problem, :wallbash: and sometimes all it takes is removing the strings and putting them back. If you have another set of strings try putting those on. This has worked for me. No lie!

First question: does it have a pickup? If so, it might be the wiring harness touching the top board. I have a Kala that does this from time to time. Simple solution is to stick a finger in and gently reposition the wires.

Another possibility: examine the string ends at the bridge. If the end is touching the top, it can vibrate and make a buzzing sound when you play. Put a small piece of paper towell under it and see if that stops it. If it does - trim the end so it doesn't reach/touch the top.​

Top Bottom