Emil Bader Ukuleles - Any info?

Pueo

Reaction score
Hello all, especially those on Oahu!
Does anyone have any info on ukuleles built by Emil Bader?
I may have an opportunity to purchase one, but I only have photographs to go by. I would like to know if anyone can vouch for the quality of the construction. Any information would be welcome.

Mahalo!

They sell them on the North Shore at Global Creations

http://www.globalcreationscart.com/category_1102.html

I've been to the store before and purchased some nice art there. The prices on the ukuleles seem really low for handmade in Hawaii. I'm just not able to stop by there at the moment seeing as I am 3000 miles away :(

If any of you locals want to check them out and let me know...

Mahalo!

Prices are sure good. I don't like the fretboards on the sopranos that go all the way to the sound hole, even though the frets stop at the body/neck joint - 12th fret...

interesting wood grain

Some unusual wood choices there. I wonder what they sound like. Anyone heard ukes make from Guava, Brown Oak, Milo, Tamarine or Opuma?

–Lori

Emil Bader Ukuleles

Hello all, especially those on Oahu!
Does anyone have any info on ukuleles built by Emil Bader?
I may have an opportunity to purchase one, but I only have photographs to go by. I would like to know if anyone can vouch for the quality of the construction. Any information would be welcome.

Mahalo!

Aloha from the North Shore, Oahu! My name is Monica and I am the General Manager of the only shop that sells Mr. Bader's Ukuleles. We only carry Mr. Bader's ukuleles - many others have tried to get in our store but they just don't compare. Mr. Bader is a retired Hawaiian gentleman with a very soft voice and a gentle manner. he has played ukulele all his life and is a founding member of Honolulu uku association. He builds his ukuleles with a lot of Aloha and does so with local woods native to the islands that he collects himself. His prices are kept reasonable so that "more people may be able to enjoy the ukulele" (his words). Here is the name and number of a man known as "Eddie B". He is a professional uke player and plays at Don Ho's in Waikiki. (808) 723-4480. He can speak to you about the quality and sound of Mr. Bader's beautiful instruments. You can see some of Mr. Bader's ukuleles on our online store at www.globalcreationscart.com. Call me at (808) 637-1780 if you have any other questions. Enjoy the music! With Aloha, Monica :shaka:

No, he isn't giving his ukuleles away, they range in price from $150 for a simple soprano to $700+ for 6 string tenor... he is not greedy and like I said he is Hawaiian and retired, 'Hawaiian' being the key word here. Aloha~ Monica

image.php

Oh my gosh! That is totally unique and pretty!

Aloha Monica, I live in Kailua and I'd love to come check out some of Emil's 'ukulele especially his pineapples. Do you know if he has one in the works made from Milo? Mahalo nui, Ahnko Honu

Some unusual wood choices there. I wonder what they sound like. Anyone heard ukes make from Guava, Brown Oak, Milo, Tamarine or Opuma?

–Lori

Not sure about Brown Oak but Guava, Milo, Tamarind (not Tamarine), and Opiuma (Opuma) I have worked with allot as a woodworker/woodturner. Getting Guava wood large enough for a 'ukulele is a challenge but I see Emil book matched his Guava. Guava is a very dense hard fruit wood used allot for walking sticks, bats, billy clubs etc. locally, not sure how a wood this dense wood sound. Milo is a sacred wood in Polynesia and was brought to Hawaii along with Kamani, and Kou with the Marquesan ancestors of Hawaiians. Milo was used mainly for the carving of religious images and wood bowls ('umeke). Very easy to work by hand, very stable and beautiful grain and color. This wood has allot of potential as a 'ukulele wood. Tamarind is a very beautiful wood, it's seed pod pulp is tart and used in Indian and SE Asian cooking. Meduim hard density similar to Koa so I would guess the sound quality is very nice. Opiuma is the Hawaiian word for Opium this tree producing many tiny seeds similar to Opium Poppy seeds. The wood is dense and heavy similar to Kiawe (Mesquite) but rather plain. Commonly found in dryland forests here. Nice to see these woods being used for this purpose. :shaka:

Wow! I am impressed with your knowledge of Hawaiian woods! Right On!! Thanks for correcting my spelling errors too (Tamarind, Opiuma). Mr. Bader's handwritting is sometimes hard to read. He used to turn bowls too but when a friend of his pointed out that he was creating a lot of waste he quit the bowls. He also makes canoe paddles which are extremely popular & sell out quickly due to his modest pricing. I've tried to tell him to raise his prices (so people don't become susicous of the quality) but he won't. he's happy to create & share. I'd love to meet you some time. My days off are weekends & Monday so please drop by any Tues - Friday. a hui hou, Monica

Those ukes are gorgeous, and very affordable! I really dig the "skinny-boy" tenors. Great that he uses a lot of local Hawaiian woods, too. Definitely adding Emil Bader to my watch list.

I am a ukulele starter and, order the mango pineapple concert, by ebay.
Not all of mister bader's ukes where avaliable, on the ebay link . I see there where more avaliable from link of the ukuleleunderground webside of the store.

I cannot wait till its here.

I think this can be a great way to start.

I will let you know my experience when its there.

Greatings,

Thomas van Drunen

monica,
about a month or two back, i sent an inquiry
to your shop thru your website but no reply.

do you guys ship overseas?

Sorry Monica - $150 for a hand built ukulele? I appreciate he goes up to $700 and whole Aloha business but you gotta admit, $150 is BIG value for money. I am glad that many entry level and pushed-for-cash players will be able to get an interesting hand-built ukulele at a good price.

Sorry Monica - $150 for a hand built ukulele? I appreciate he goes up to $700 and whole Aloha business but you gotta admit, $150 is BIG value for money. I am glad that many entry level and pushed-for-cash players will be able to get an interesting hand-built ukulele at a good price.

I think value for money is a good thing!

So do I from a consumer's point of view. However, from a builder'sd point of view it can have the effect of devaluing the market.

Top Bottom