Two Kamaka's at Bellevue American Music WA

GrumpyCoyote

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A standard and a concert in stock for you Seattle/Eastside folks...

I've never had a chance to play a Kamaka locally before and was frankly astonished to see them on the rack.

hf1.jpg

Feather light for solid wood - shockingly light
Brilliant sustain, even with trashed GHS strings
Frets could have been dressed slightly better - but not bad

Price was standard, but the chance to play before you buy and avoid shipping is pretty cool. If they had a tenor I would likely have snapped it up.

The guys at Bellevue American Music are pretty cool too.

Last edited:
Hey Grumpy, are you sure they were GHS strings? Never seen a factory Kamaka strung with GHS. Kamaka has their own line of strings.

KS1.jpg

Hey Grumpy, are you sure they were GHS strings? Never seen a factory Kamaka strung with GHS. Kamaka has their own line of strings.

KS1.jpg

I'm actually curious about that. I had a guy who worked at Ukulele Puapua in Waikiki tell me that the Kamaka strings are just rebranded GHS strings. I've always wondered if that was true or not.

I've never heard GHS strings before but I know they have a really bad reputation. I actually restrung my Kamaka with some Hilos because of that, but I'd like to know if that is the case. I bought it second hand and the strings hadn't been changed in the two years it sat in a case so I would have changed them anyway, but I'd buy some Kamaka strings if they are better than GHS ones...

Has anyone played them side by side to determine if they are different or the same as GHS?

KS1.jpg

Sure? No. But the three Lanikai's right next to it had strings that were so close I'd call them identical - at least to my feel and ear. They reminded me of he GHS' I had last year, but admittedly it's been awhile.

The shop folks did say "that's just what the come with" so it's whatever Kamaka OEM strings are - nasty is what I call them. Woody, thick, and with a slippery plastic feel.

Great axe - and strings are easy to replace :)

Dusty's in Seattle has plenty of Kamakas on display. They even have a Pete Howlett uke

I got to touch and try to tune a Kamaka on Tuesday. I totally agree with Grumpy on the strings. My first thought was GHS strings also. I didn't care for them.

What I did love about the Kamaka was the neck. It's a bit thinner than a KoAloha neck. Other than that I didn't notice a huge difference. "Twas fun to see one though.

Top Bottom