Tia Carrere sings Hawaiian Music with ukulele

Schwing! Oh...not appropriate here? :(

Just listened to some of her music - then downloaded her entire album Hawaiiana. She has a gorgeous voice. Forget the schwing, this woman can SING!

sure, Tia Carrere is easy on the eyes, but part of me believes this is just another way of using Hawai`i to market herself.

If I could use the fact that I grew up in Manteno, Illinois, to make money, I would. What's wrong with that?

sure, Tia Carrere is easy on the eyes, but part of me believes this is just another way of using Hawai`i to market herself.
This has been debated quite a bit in other forums since she and Daniel won the Grammy back in February. Regardless of whether or not she's using Hawai`i to market herself (she was, after all, born in Honolulu), I give her props for mentioning twice in her Grammy acceptance speech that she wasn't worthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjkGQIeVYvw

(Trivia: She bought the dress she's wearing on eBay for $30.)

She should have kept here real name Althea Janairo, more tita, more local. ;)
I had a tita cousin in Waimanalo named Althea, she could kick @ss, all da boyz respected her.

Last edited:
If I could use the fact that I grew up in Manteno, Illinois, to make money, I would. What's wrong with that?

Yeah, it's kind of like all the Jimmy Buffett we have down here in Florida since he grew up in Alabama. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's kind of like all the Jimmy Buffett we have down here in Florida since he grew up in Alabama. :rolleyes:
Actually she did grow up in Hawai`i...it wasn't until after she graduated from high school that she moved to the mainland to pursue an acting career. I think she met Ho in junior high.

I was prepared to be cynical - recording on her looks and her name. I expected the album I downloaded - Hawaiiana - to be silly and about the level of a Wayne's World attempt at singing.

Her voice is beautiful. I enjoy the music. I don't care about the motivations - if there are any besides performing and making beautiful music - I love the album. I went to the website that Alan posted and listened to her comments - she's known Daniel Ho for many years, performed in a garage band when she was growing up in Hawaii, and got together with him to perform for old times sake and for the pleasure of it. They're on their third album...that's a lot of work and commitment for self-promotion.

I don't think anyone is so brain dead that he or she sees ones of the glitterati doing something and says, "Ooh, I gotta do that, too!" Only advertising companies think adults are swayed by seeing TV and movie stars shilling products. If anything, using pop or film stars for marketing may turn off anyone over the age of puberty because we realize how lame* most of them are.
~~~~~
* Or how llama they are. That's because most glitterati have the brains of the average llama. Not a lama, mind you, some of whom are reputedly quite smart.

Given that even her Grammy-winning album is so obscure that Amazon.com doesn't even have a photo of the CD cover, I think you can rule out self-promotion as her primary motivation. You'll find far more Google hits on her wardrobe choices than her music.

She's singing about her home. Who doesn't have a right to do that?

This has been debated quite a bit in other forums since she and Daniel won the Grammy back in February. Regardless of whether or not she's using Hawai`i to market herself (she was, after all, born in Honolulu), I give her props for mentioning twice in her Grammy acceptance speech that she wasn't worthy:

She did win the Grammy with Daniel Ho, and she is from Hawaii. Tia and Daniel Ho live in LA, and Daniel has been winning the Hawaiian music Grammy since it's inception a couple of years ago. The truth is his music is not recognized at the Hawaiian music awards held annually called the No Hoku Hanohano Awards. The real Hawaiian artist are recognized by the Hawaiian people, and not just a person that is from Hawaii who happens to hang with the Hollywood crowd. Although she was recognized as a Grammy winner, their music is only appreciated by the "wanna be Hawaiians" in LA. Too much politics involved... Her music is OK, but all the tita's from Hawaii can carry a tune and play ukulele. She's no match to Brittni, Raiatea, Amy, Natalie and many others.....

Here's an excerpt from an interview with John Cruz from the Honolulu Weekly. There's a bit more on the "controversy" so feel free to click on the link above to read more mana`o from Braddah John. Here's the quote:

Honolulu Weekly: What do you make of this whole Grammy thing with Tia Carrere?

John Cruz: (laughter) Hey, I just give props to Tia, because she gets up there and says “I’m not worthy.” She wasn’t joking. She wasn’t, man.

But what is she supposed to do? You know she’s gonna get all the criticism, but it’s not her that’s controlling the votes. (The problem is) the stipulations put on the Grammy people by the Hawaiian music industry. They wanted to control the process, just like they have controlled the (Na Hoku Hanohano awards) for years, they wanted to control who gets a Grammy.

She's no match to Brittni, Raiatea, Amy, Natalie and many others.....

I know who Brittni Paiva is, but do you think you can educate me (and some of the rest of us) as to some really good Hawaiian music?

I know who Brittni Paiva is, but do you think you can educate me (and some of the rest of us) as to some really good Hawaiian music?

All of these ladies have won Na Hoku Hanohano awards for their music. The awards are Hawaii's version of the Gramy Awards, voted by the people from Hawaii who listen to real Hawaiian artist.

Natalie Ai Kamauu: http://www.myspace.com/natalieaikamauu

Amy Hanalali'i: http://www.myspace.com/amyhanaialii

Raiatea Helm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfNu1vTjf4

These ladies exemplify true Hawaiian music....:shaka:

Top Bottom