micing the ukuele

mrburns

Reaction score
Hi guys....
im new to this site! looks good...

Im writing a dissertation on all aspects of the ukulele for my degree in music production.

just wanted to see if anyone had any information or tips on the recording of the ukuele. so maybe the best mics and y? wheres seems to be good to place the mic? i no its down to matter of opinion and things but i want other peoples views.

also if any one knows anything about physically modeling the ukulele. through max msp or general synthesis of the ukulele that would be amazing..
thanks
mr burns

Last time I recorded my uke, I used a large cap condenser (I think that day we experimented with a u87, TLM 103, Rode Classic II, KSM44...the u87 was what I kept to use) and a Portico 5012 pre. I mic'd it right in front of the sound hole about 1 foot away.

The u87 wasn't overly bright, had good low end response and captured enough of the room nicely.

I don't know much at all about additive synthesis, or any synthesis at all really, but the difficult thing about guitar synthesis is how the strings have a different waveform depending on how you strum them, and they're brighter the higher the pitch. I wouldn't know how to alter your oscillators or even where to begin with anything. Call up the people at Stanford University, I hear they have a crazy synthesis program.

thanks

Last time I recorded my uke, I used a large cap condenser (I think that day we experimented with a u87, TLM 103, Rode Classic II, KSM44...the u87 was what I kept to use) and a Portico 5012 pre. I mic'd it right in front of the sound hole about 1 foot away.

The u87 wasn't overly bright, had good low end response and captured enough of the room nicely.

thanks alot for the reply thats exactly what i needed some other peoples experiments !!

I tried both a Kel HM-1 and a Audix i5 > Samson Mixer> Echo sound card > Audacity (because that is all I had around) placed a foot away from the 14th fret and aimed at the sound hole.

The Kel worked well for solo uke stuff and made my uke sound a bit darker.

The Audix is not bad either... but, yeah, my recording gear is pretty much lacking.

Top Bottom