Ukulele Donkey Derby - a contest to support charity!

SamWise

Reaction score
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law run a donkey sanctuary on the Isle of Wight. It's called, by a stroke of co-incidence, the Isle of Wight Donkey Sanctuary. It's started in about 1985, with one donkey in a rented field, and by 1987, was a fully fledged charity, almost by mistake! Who knew there were so many donkeys needing love?

You can find the sanctuary here http://www.iwdonkey-sanctuary.com/

Raising awareness and funds is hugely important for the sanctuary, and Cheryl and Karen (the in-laws mentioned above) put loads of work into running big events, including a Donkey-Day-Out every year. Just recently, they've put together a song and a video, with one of the guys from the 118 adverts (for our Stateside brethren, I've posted a picture below!). Mother-in-law wrote a song called The Donkey Conga, and they rolled out Mr 118 to dance like a loon in the video.

P8270016.jpg

We want to do our bit to support them, so I propose to run a contest, to create donkey related uke videos, to support the Big Donkey Day Out on the 30th and 31st August.

Here Are The Rules!

You perform a song which is in some way related to donkeys. This needs to be either an original or a pastiche; covers of existing songs about donkeys might be a problem because of copyright.

You perform it at least partly on the ukulele

You can be as creative as you like; multitracking is fine, other instruments are fine, any style you like is fine.

At the beginning, you must say "Isle of Wight Donkey Sanctuary Big Donkey Day Out 2009!"

The winner will be the song with the most Awesome. This will be judged by a secret panel including, but not necessarily limited to, me (most likely Karen and Cheryl will be involved too).

Prize

The prize is, currently, a Donkey Sanctuary t shirt, a copy of the picture above (of me with the 118 guys - I'll sign it, and try to get Colin Carmichael, the one on the left, to sign it too!) and a sense of pride in supporting the community. I expect and hope to be able to add a couple more prizes to this, but I'm not certain what yet. Stop Press! A new addition to the prize fund - the winner will also recieve a UU t-shirt of his choice from the store, donated by an anonymous benefactor.

Closing Date

Closing Date will be July 31st, so that your entries will have plenty of time to help promote the Donkey Day Out

Whatchoo Gotta Do

For now, you simply need to post a link to your entry here. You also need to post it as a video response to the Donkey Conga video, which can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzH5fvcicMM&feature=channel_page

Really looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

Entries:

RussBuss415 - An Ode To Donkey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o-ZErw13AQ

Ukisociety - Donkey Fiesta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edF5UL19uE

Last edited:
"Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear"

I knew that place sounded familiar....:D

Wow, thanks Russ! Are you able to attach it as a video response to the Donkey Conga video?

Additionally, we have an additional addition to the prize fund - there's now a UU shirt up for grabs as well.

Mrs Sam is very excited about that Alan! She loved your MmmBop Skidoo best of all in the MmmBop contest.

Oooh! My ma-in-law likes your song! And so do I! Roll on more donkey entries.

I wonder if anyone will go with the obvious pun. Donkey Oaty anyone?

C'mon kids, still room for plenty more on this contest!

Sam...I'm really trying to get something up for this....

...but I find coming up with lyrics is way harder than coming up with a melody....

..and DONKEY lyrics.....man-o-man....talk about writers block!!!

(Anyone that has some donkey lyrics laying around without a song attached to them, please contact me at 1-800-DONKEYLYRICS)

Signed,
Hurry up Wag

Technically, this is the last day, but if anyone's working on something, I could be persuaded to extend......

Well, the contest has been closed for almost a week, and we're nearly ready to announce the winner. You wouldn't think it would be so hard with 2 entries! Watch this space.

Well, the contest has been closed for almost a week, and we're nearly ready to announce the winner. You wouldn't think it would be so hard with 2 entries! Watch this space.

I'm sorry that there weren't more entries. Donkeys make great song subjects!

Top Bottom