Looking for Ukulele

ukulele614

Reaction score
Hey UU,
I'm new to this site as well as the ukulele. Sorry about another one of these threads. If you can refer me to any other threads that would help, I'd be delighted.

I'm looking currently at either a Lanikai LSM-C or a Kala KA-SC, both of which I found good prices for. What are your opinions on each about what's good and bad about each? I'm trying to find a ukulele that:

is concert size
has great intonation (I'm a "well trained" musician, so intonation is key for me)
and is preferably any type of solid wood (mainly for the tone)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again, sorry for another one of these types of threads :(.

You can check out ebay... there are good deals over there.

Hey UU,
I'm looking currently at either a Lanikai LSM-C or a Kala KA-SC, both of which I found good prices for. What are your opinions on each about what's good and bad about each? I'm trying to find a ukulele that is concert size has great intonation (I'm a "well trained" musician, so intonation is key for me)
and is preferably any type of solid wood (mainly for the tone)
:(.
The Kala KASC is a good value for it's price, and does have a solid spruce top, I've compared it with other uke's in it's price, and it is hard to beat. If you put the Kala next to the Lanikai, they are almost identical. This could be due to the fact that the founder of Kala (Mike Upton) was also the man responsible for the success of Lanikai.

If you live in an area with the ability to try these ukulele's, patronize the shop. Only buy from the internet if you are in an area with no access to the uke's. Being a well trained musician, you would appreciate buying the uke from a brick & mortar store, instead of the internet. There's benefits in being able to play the instrument that you are investing in prior to buying it, as each instrument has different sound qualities. If you have an internet price, mention that to the dealer, and I'm sure they will be price competitive, as the major brands have a minimum advertised price structure that the dealer must agree to in order to retain their status as an authorized dealer.

Both are good ukes. Kala has a reputation of being more innovative with both materials and designs. I have both brands and would buy another Kala without hesitation. Also in the price range is Mainland. I'd suggest you give them a look.​

I don't have one of the Kala sprucetops but I have the Lanikai LSM-C and its great, my favorite to play. THe action was amazing right out of the box, the tuners are superb, those gold sealed geared ones. They're really smooth and stay in tune forever. The gloss finish is gorgeous. The ebony fretboard is smooth and pretty. Intonation is great.

The only bad things I can say about it is the frets themselves, they could use a couple swipes from a fret-file on the lower frets. Not horrible, but certainly not the best either. Also, projection is ... unassuming. Maybe its because of the gloss, but its the quietest uke I own. Don't get me wrong, it sounds beautiful. But its not LOUD.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another of the Lanikai LSM series, I've been biting my nails over the tenor model...

Kala has a reputation of being more innovative with both materials and designs. I have both brands and would buy another Kala without hesitation.
are you saying that you would buy a Kala over a Lanikai?

You can check out ebay... there are good deals over there.
Yeah, I've been looking at ebay. That's where I found the good deals.

and thank you everyone for giving me your comments and opinions, it's really helpful as I trek through this new world of ukulele. I really wish I knew of or could find a store that carries ukulele, but I can't seem to locate any where I live.

How does the Kala KA-ASMC compare to these two?

are you saying that you would buy a Kala over a Lanikai?
Personally, yes. While both are well-made, I prefer Kala and find they have some outstanding models. My Kala cedar-top is one of my favourtite ukes in the herd. Necks are a little narrower than some others, but for me it's not an issue.​

How does the KA-ASMC compare to the sprucetop?

The KA-ASMC is an all solid Mahogany model, with a satin finish. I have played both, and feel that the solid Mahogany sounds warmer and more natural. The Spruce top is a little louder and brighter. You are moving up the price ladder, and can keep going if you don't set a limit, do you find yourself asking "what if I spend a little bit more?" and just a little bit more...... it's called UAS:confused:

I don't own either ukes, and I'm just a beginner, but I have tried both the KA ASM and the KA SC, and I prefer the way the mahogany sounds more. (though, I ended up spending a bit more on a pono ohai instead. The first sign of UAS, you say?)

But the solid sprucetop sounds quite good too, so I don't think you'll go wrong either way. It really depends on how much you want to spend, I guess. Both are good ukes.

As a beginner ukulele player, I have the Kala KA-SC concert ukulele. I like the spruce tops because it sounds bright. Last week Wednesday, I just bought me a Pono Mahogany concert ukulele. Both of my ukulele sounds great. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

I've had an All-solid mahogany Kala, and a solid spruce top Ohana.
The Spruce top has a brighter, more crisper tone, whereas the Mahogany is a bit more mellow and darker.

I prefer the spruce top, but its all preference.

Here's another good one to consider:
Ohana Vita
Solid spruce top, mahogany body.
Just got mine this week. Excellent sound, playability and cost, and is my favourite!
And I like the shape, because it stands out a little instead of looking like a "tiny guitar".

Uh oh...I was actually thinking about price...it's just that I keep finding great deals that can't just be past up!
I think I'll probably just go with the cheaper sprucetop (unless I find some ridiculous deal on something else)

Edit:
For some reason I skipped over your post, Kissing. That's a nice uke. I found a deal on ebay for $150, which I think is a good price. How's the intonation on it?

Oh boy, I can't decide! I'm split between the Ohana Vita and the Kala KA-SC...I like the sprucetop because it's concert size, but I like the Ohana a lot too, it sounds great and looks pretty cool. I dunno I dunno I dunno...maybe I should just get them both, haha, only kidding.

Last edited:
The intonation on the Ohana is excellent.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice :)

Read about tonewoods. they make a difference. In general, spruce is brighter than mahogany. But the side and back woods contribute, too. The all-mahogany doesn't offer quite as complex a tone as the spruce with rosewood or other sides. But both are great. In fact, get both. NOW.​

Thank you everyone that gave me input into ukuleles. It helped a lot and I'm really grateful for the UU community.
I ended up purchasing the Kala KA-SC :D

Top Bottom