The world's most playable uke

uke5417

Reaction score
OK, normally I play an old beat-up Regal, but when I'm goin' up-neck and pushing my limits, I reach for my '60s Martin soprano, 'cause it's, well, the best I've got. But I know there's a 14-fret-to-the-body concert or tenor cutaway, or some such uke that just calls out for that up-neck, push-it-to-the-limits approach.

What is that uke? I want to make chords at the 12th fret that sing, chords at the 14 that wail without complaint. I want the world's most up-neck playable uke.

What is it?

My newest uke, Oscar Schmidt OU-5LCE is a long-necked concert (19 frets) that plays beautifully all the way past the 12th fret. I'd imagine that the extended neck Ohanas would be great. Most Kala ukes I have played are also good beyond the 12th fret. There are lots of options.

Just for fun, I'll blow the dust off this vid. Not taking anything away from you, sometimes, its the player, and not the uke. Yeah, you'll have to wait for the first minute and a half for the first chime, then 3 minutes, then almost to the end to see him go up, but he did request 22 frets, which he got, and uses (but not in this vid):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ka1UF801Ck&feature=channel_page

Last edited:
+1, watching led play is a treat . . .

Just for fun, I'll blow the dust off this vid. Not taking anything away from you, sometimes, its the player, and not the uke. Yeah, you'll have to wait for the first minute and a half for the first chime, then 3 minutes, then almost to the end to see him go up, but he did request 22 frets, which he got, and uses (but not in this vid):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ka1UF801Ck&feature=channel_page

Sorry, shameless, but I still enjoy watching this - I hope you do too.

That's some very fine playing, and a very fine-looking uke. Thanks for sharing.

Choosing the best ukulele is little difficult and the instruments of different frets are available in the shops. It is an acoustic instrument and lot of features need to be considered while choosing the best ukulele like the quality of the material, type of wood, the hardware structure and altogether can make the great instrument. Most of the people prefer concert sizes as they contain long neck and they are easy to handle while playing the instrument. The instrument with a long neck of 22 frets may suit you better.

This thread is 10 years old......a trap we have all fallen into.

... The instrument with a long neck of 22 frets may suit you better.

Where have you seen a factory-made uke with 22 frets?

Most concert scale ukes seem to have no more than 16 frets, and most tenor scale ukes have no more than 18 or 19 frets...

With soprano scale ukes, the most common is just 12 frets, but some can be found with more, where the fretboard extends farther toward the sound hole and beyond the body join area.

Most baritone scale ukes seem to top out at 19 frets.

Top Bottom