Different Ukes

SnakeOiler

Reaction score
Any of you guys play Ukes that are different than the standard wood, guitar construction style figure 8, round sound hole thing? I have a Banjo-Uke and I'm going to get an akulele:
www.worldfrets.com
They're carved from a single piece of wood, body, neck, headstock.
I'd love to see what else is out there.

I'm also working on making one out of this wooden box that a guitar effect came in.

One piece of wood, huh? That's crazy.

The only exotic string instrument I've ever played was a banduria.

I'd be interested in playing a banjolele, but I stink at the banjo.

I've always wanted to try one of those cigar box ukuleles.

Last edited:
i played a vintage banjolele (1920's era) at the haight-ashbury music store and it made some pretty cool sounds. i wasn't about to pay the $350 for it though. it was pretty busted up but looked like a great collectors item.

I'd be interested in playing a banjolele, but I stink at the banjo.

No, my May Bell is tuned and played exactly like any Ukulele. Except it has a sound that'll shatter you're eardrums.

i played a vintage banjolele (1920's era) at the haight-ashbury music store and it made some pretty cool sounds. i wasn't about to pay the $350 for it though.

There's always a ton of them on eBay, you shouldn't have to pay more than $200. Mine is from 1927. Although I stopped buying instruments mail-order. Too hit and miss.

It's a great way to get a Banjo sound, but without learning a new instrument. I should have a video of "Baby on Board" up by tomorrow.

nice, i look forward to that. and you're right, when i played it at the store, it was LOUD! also it was strung with standard high G tuning. so it was a lot of fun to mess around on.

Damn, that dud is tearing it up on the Banjolele!!! The frame rate can't even capture his right hand it's going so fast. He needs one of those high speed cameras like they use on "Mythbusters".

I haven't played, or even seen one in person but check out RISA uke. It needs an amp. It is also made from a solid piece of wood. It looks kind of crazy too.

http://www.ukuleleworld2.com/product.php?productid=333&cat=88&page=1

Yea, love the Uke-stick. Here's a video of the guy that builds them. He sure looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqQWon71do

Top Bottom