Sopranos?

ZacharyToh

Reaction score
hi all. right now i have a concert size uke with me. and i dont know whether i want to get a soprano. but i like the portability and the looks of it. any idea whether it can withstand fast strumming? since the strings and the size are so small?

A well made uke can withstand fast strumming.

seriously? do you think i have big hands? i dont think so ..but i have long fingers tho. hahas i'm thinking of getting kala's ka-s the mahogany one. i like those nice strumming. do you think that uke will suit me?

seriously? do you think i have big hands? i dont think so ..but i have long fingers tho. hahas i'm thinking of getting kala's ka-s the mahogany one. i like those nice strumming. do you think that uke will suit me?

Plenty of players with big mitts play sopranos. I think the Kala mahogany soprano is a good choice.

Last edited:
Look up some posts by HowlingHobbit. He looks to have large hands and he loves playing sopranos.

how do i look up on howling hobbit?

http://www.youtube.com/user/howlinhobbit

Now, to your original question: are there any uke shops in Singapore where you can go and physically hold a soprano uke?

The best way to find out if the soprano size is for you is to try it yourself. Everybody is different, so different size ukes cater for different people and different preferences. For example I currently favour a Soprano long neck over a Concert. Other people may simply favour a Tenor, and so on.

oh yeah another question. can i learn to play something like super mario bros on a soprano? would it be too small and hard?

hi all. right now i have a concert size uke with me. and i dont know whether i want to get a soprano. but i like the portability and the looks of it. any idea whether it can withstand fast strumming? since the strings and the size are so small?

I had a soprano turn read hot I was stumin so fast but a little water cooled it right down, could not see though the steam though.:D

Seriously, I think I can strum faster on a soprano than my concert, becasue the stings are shorter and the leverage is less. You can rip in a soprano.

Chuck Norris has a soprano. But he just gives it a look, and it strums itself out of fear.

The scale difference between concert & soprano really isn't all that much. A couple of inches. I don't have any problems going back and forth between them and don't think it would necessarily be an issue.

You can strum as fast on a decent soprano as you can actually strum. (I'd think that string tension has more to do with it than scale. A higher tension will make it easier to strum fast because the strings would be moving less than looser strings.) The limits there are your physical ability not the ukulele.

If the version of Super Mario Brothers you want to play doesn't require more frets than the soprano you've want to play it on, you should be fine. (And if it does, it's certainly possible to rearrange the song to work for the one you do have.) How difficult it would be to play depends entirely on your skill level, not the scale of the instrument.

Top Bottom