How do you know when it is time to change strings?

tanega

Reaction score
Hi,

I am still starting out....but was wondering when do you know when it is time to change the strings?

I have been told when the bottom of the strings start having groves from the frets.

Is there any other ways to tell?

It depends on the strings, storage conditions, and how often you practice. With 1-2 hours of daily practice, I find that my strings will last no more than 3 months at best before they lose a lot of tone. Often, they will lose tone well before then.

Most aspiring classical guitarists are happy to get 60hrs of use out of their nylon strings. I'm an amateur guitarist and uke player, and I try to get 120hrs of use out of my sets before replacing.

As you grow more experienced, you'll begin to notice when your strings start to lose tone. They'll sound dull; not as bright.

IMHO, as a beginner, you shouldn't don't worry too much if you're still happily playing with the same set of strings well after 3 months. But if you do play your uke regularly, consider changing the strings every six months (and definitely at least every year).

The fun part is that you get to experiment with new strings and see what those do to your uke. :)

didnt change my nylons since i got my koaloha, which was in 2003. still good condition. but i know they gotta be changed soon.

depends, youll know when you tune your uke and it sounds dead. i change every 3 months (if i use it all the time)

I have D'Addario Tenor Ukulele Strings, and I play my ukulele very frequently throughout the day. I've noticed that at the rate I play, my strings tend to last at least 2 months, maybe 3 months if I don't play it every day. . .like that would ever happen xP

When your uke goes flat easily.

Hey, I just recently changed the stock GHS strings on my Kala Tenor.
The GHS strings were 1 year old btw ( I don't get to play as often as I would like ).
I noticed that the strings were sounding out of tune while playing, even after I just tuned it not 2 minutes earlier.
I put on some D'Addario Pro Arte Tenor strings, and they are still breaking in.
So far so good.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

ahh good advice... i was wondering the same thing

Top Bottom