The Perfect Uke

FHS-72

Reaction score
It seems as though alot of people in this forum is trying to get the perfect uke or the perfect sounding uke. There are threads asking for the best strings or the best ukes. Don't get me wrong I'm not criticizing anyone, but it just seems there's an unending quest for the perfect uke. In the hands of someone that is very good, I'd say most ukes sound great. I've heard cheap ukes sound great in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it. Doesn't the slight imperfections of a uke is what makes it stand out. This thread is not meant to offend anyone. Just want to see what you think.

you're right that any uke in the hands of the right person can sound great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5DJ4cvKU4M

But there's still nothing wrong with people hunting around for a uke with a particular string and tuning combination that sounds pleasing to them. UAS is what's keeping the delicate world economy going, leave it alone :p

I agree with you, sort of. Everyone is on that quest to look for that perfect ukulele when in fact, they probably have it in their hands. As for looking for the best strings, one must go out and find what strings sound best on your ukulele. I don't think any on set of strings would sound amazing on every ukulele. No J71, no fluorocarbons, no nylons, no anything. So I think the journey to finding the best strings is legitimate.
But "best" is subjective. Everyone has their own tastes and what sounds nice to one player may sound unfavorable to another.
So in your case, you might be satisfied with your ukulele's performance and feel that you have no need to look for another set of strings or another ukulele, and that's perfectly fine. As long as you enjoy playing it and loving it, then that's all that matters. You are right to say that each flaw or deviation make one's ukulele unique.
As for cheap ukes sounding bad... it's a give and take situation. I always read people dissing on Hilo model... 2526... or something like that. No question about it, it's a crappy ukulele. But overall, once you start playing and getting better, it's not all that bad. I can play parts of piano forte, which I learned on my KoAloha(LeeLa), on my Hilo and it sounds... okay. I did change the strings on it, and that makes a BIG DIFFERENCE! I mean, it's no Hawaiian "K" model ukulele, but in the end, I would say that music is music. But as you said, any ukulele can sound great in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.
LeeLa, as beautiful as she is, is wonderful as an instrument and I would never dream of giving her up. But... that doesn't mean I don't want more ukuleles like her. It's a passion that perhaps you just haven't reached yet. But perhaps it is better for your bank account. :music:

Last edited:
Wise words.:cheers:

But people need hobbies. I know a bunch of fat old men who build up pimped out single speed bicycles only to ride them once and sell a them week later. They too are on the quest for perfection...

Quite likely.

I should add that it was before-coffee-a.m. when I first played the uke in that robe. It really took me a while to figure out that one.

Its like finding the perfect woman or man.. Depending on your taste it all comes down to preference... or sometimes Mood :D

There is no one "perfect" sounding uke.

There are ukes for every occasion and mood swing.

Pick up a few! ;)

Jake played my first ukulele -- it is now the Sisterhood of the Traveling Ukuleles ukulele a Hawaiian Ukulele Company student concert. It was only $125 -- not exactly like his Kamaka. However, he made that thing sing! There really is no perfect ukulele. Only a perfect one for YOU. I dare say deach hasn't found his yet.

There is no such thing as perfect in anything - show me something that's perfect and I will show you something that's not.

If there was an objectively perfect uke (mathematically flawless construction/intonation/woodgrain), I still don't think it would be anyone's favorite. Unless they suffered from extreme OCD. ;)

Perfectly fine not finding the perfect one. Gives me an excuse to collect more.

I have to disagree, I don't think anyone's on a unending quest for that one perfect sounding 'ukulele. I don't think anyone expects perfection coming from an imperfect creature such as man is. I don't believe UAS is an explanation either. I think quite the opposite. Every person like every 'ukulele is imperfect and that's why they say variety is the spice of life. I don't only have salt in my cupboard, I have 2 dozen other herbs and spices too. Viva le differance!
I'm looking for the best twelve pineapples. Most people don't care for pineapples. Do I care? No two of my 'ukuleles sound alike thank goodness! :cool:

Last edited:
I think what ever peoples hobbies are they will always strive for what they perceive to be the best, a lot of folk blame there short comings on there tools, as we say over here....All the gear with no idea!!!

They're all perfect.

It's a matter of context. :shaka:

The "perfect" uke, I always figured, would be the uke that feels the best. It won't make you sound better to others, but it'll feel the best to play it.

And that goes for every instrument. I've never found a bass that feels better than the one I own, and that's why I've been perfectly happy with only one bass for the past ten years.

I'm also a fishing fanatic, and I own more rod & reel combos than I'd like to admit. There's no perfect rod that works perfect for every fish just as there's no perfect 'ukulele that works perfect for every song. Everything in life is a compromise but it gives you an excuse to try something new. ;)

Top Bottom