help me identify my uke

shimpiphany

Reaction score
just bought this - and can't seem to find too much info on it, beyond the tiki uke database, which is pretty thin.

anybody have any experience with williams ukuleles? is this solid wood? was i high to buy it?

3640035521_40f62578be.jpg

3640846596_8f1663b3bf.jpg

3640035581_78759ee065.jpg

You should be able to tell if it's solid or laminate by examining the wood at the soundhole. Laminates usually show as layers with small colour variations.

Looks a bit like a Diastone I had. A lot of ukuleles that looked like this were made in Japan in the 50s and 60s, selling under several names, but usually made in one or two factories. Try asking at Flea Market Music. They have a uke collector's section.​

I have a similar one

My daughter just scored a Capitol brand uke at a yard sale. It looks similar to this. I am also curious about the value. She paid a quarter so either way it's a good deal.

You should be able to tell if it's solid or laminate by examining the wood at the soundhole. Laminates usually show as layers with small colour variations.​

thanks,

its hard to tell if there are layers or the stain was just applied unevenly.

The body and bridge remind me of some Japanese ukes from the 50's and 60's I once owned. They were great players and were sold as Decca and many other names.

Whatever it is, it looks really cool. How does it sound?

two of the tuners are shot and i haven't had the chance to replace them, so i haven't played it yet. in fact, i've never replaced tuners, so this should be an adventure. but the neck is straight and the body looks to be in good condition.

the holes are 4mm across, and the headstock is 9mm thick. i haven't yet figured out if stock tuners will fit that size hole or if i will need to drill them out. none of the tuners for sale online have size specs.

i'm going to head over to mccabe's in santa monica with it tomorrow to see if they can help.

Where'd you get it, a charity shop?

If so you're lucky to have found it.

I've been scoping the local second hand shops and can't find anything.

i got it on ebay for about 40 bucks. not cheap, but worth the risk.

Top Bottom