Baton Rouge and Broken Hearted

casetone2514

Reaction score
Does anyone here know anything about Baton Rouge Ukuleles?

I have just been to Music Ground in Leeds and they have a selection of Baton Rouge ukes. I want a decent soprano as the sopranos I own are terrible (my best one is a Maholo) and so every time I see one I try it. They have quite a nice spruce top one but I tried a Mango Wood one and I fell head over heels in love with it. Why?

The wood and the finish are so beautiful. It has such an attractive grain and is wonderfully bookmatched as well.

The tone is beautiful for the price - it is clear and bright but has all the depth one would expect from a far more expensive instrument.

It plays extremely well. It is partly the very good set-up and that it comes with decent (Aquila) strings but also the neck finishing makes it easy to move up and down the scales and the finger board is so smooth.

The Price is £179 and this is why I am broken hearted. I had to leave my love in the darn shop for other uke players to paw and maul and put their greasy fingers all over. I hate being poor.

Anyway, back to the real world. I have never seen Baton Rouge ukes before - I noticed that they are made in china - and I wondered if anyone had tried any others and what they thought.

Here is a photo of my love's twin sister - not exactly identical but very similar.

u7s.jpg

Tony

I know something about being short on funds when you really want something, what I don't understand is how things work in England. Does the shop offer a layaway program? If you never heard of that before(just asking), the shop keeps the uke for you and you make scheduled payments until it is payed for, other than that maybe you can borrow the funds from somwhere/someone and pay them back as you can? I think some of the ukes from China are pretty good now, it seems the Chinese manufacturers have found that if their products are made better, we in the rest of the world are willing to pay more for them. I agree about the Mango wood ukes by the way...just spectacular!
:shaka:

Most instrument dealers are pretty reasonable. If you are absolutely smitten with that uke, see if you can lay it away with a down payment then make regular payments until you can own it.

By the way, "Baton Rouge and Broken Hearted" would be a great song title.

Top Bottom