Low G on the nut

TheWannabe90

Reaction score
I know there have probably been similar threads or questions and answers
but I can't seem to find them...
I recently received my Kanile'a K1 Tenor and want to try low G tuning.
But if I look at the nut it doesn't seem to made to support a low G string, it won't fit.
So my question is, if I put a low G on it, will it damage the nut?

(Any recommendation on what strings to try)

Thanks and sorry for the "thread whoring" :)

It shouldn't hurt it, but the bad fit might mess with the action a bit. The best thing would be to have a different nut for each setup and cut the G slot a bit wider for the heavier string. You can do this with what you have, but be aware that there may be "no turning back" if you don't like it. The wider slot will make it so the high G might sit too low and create a buzzing problem.

See if you can have a guitar repair guy file the nut a little bit to accomodate a low G. You could do it yourself, and if you screw it up, it's legit to fill in the groove slightly with krazy glue or epoxy. But if it's a Kanile'a, you might be a little safer having someone else do it. ;) As much as I don't like wound strings, I'd recommend a wound string like a Hilo or Aquila for your low G because a plain Worth fluorocarbon might be too thick.

One of mine is and one of mine is not. The one that is not has buzzing issues. So yesterday I went reentrant.

I have 5 or 6 tenors with low G strings. I haven't done anything to any of the nuts and have not experienced any issues. I like especially low action on my ukes. Installing a low G string on a nut that is slotted for a re-entrant G string thereby resulting in a slightly higher G string has not affected the action enough for me to widen the nut slot. :)

My Fremont low G came in from MGM today, and it's not seating properly in the nut of my Flea. It's going to take modification.

Some ukes are set up right in the middle for low G or re-entrant, but others were cut for one or the other. I wouldn't say everyone who plays low G had to modify their uke, but it's pretty likely.

No egregious "adjusting my nut because the g-string sits on it funny" jokes yet?

Top Bottom