Only the most important decision

mangouker

Reaction score
KANILEA, Koaloha or HONU...so im looking to get a really nice soprano or concert and with droppin so much cashhh $$ (at least for me) i want to make sure im gettin the BANG for my buck ya digg? haha please if you dont mind give some insight...

well, Kanilea and KoAloha are wonderful ukuleles and you can't go wrong with either. I read a review about Honu tenor ukulele, and it said it was "quiet". In other words, it wasn't very loud. I don't know how loud Kanileas are, but my KoAloha is just... a canon. It's soo loud, I bet I'll have damaged hearing soon. But Kanile'a is a hawaiian K, and so it's incredible. You might very well enjoy the honu ukulele however. I plan to buy a Kanile'a ukulele as soon as I get my scholarship from school. :) A honu is nice, A kanile'a is nice. a KoAloha is nice. Having one is a privilege that only few will share. So you can't go wrong. You can also look up G-string ukuleles. $600 is a good bit of dough so I don't blame you on researching. Good luck with you decision, and believe me, you won't regret it, no matter which decision you make. You will grow to love her the second you play her.

I've got a Koaloha and a Kanilea and prefer playing the Koaloha's better for some reason, they both sound great, just the little difference in the Koaloha's sound does it for me.

I've got a Koaloha and a Kanilea and prefer playing the Koaloha's better for some reason, they both sound great, just the little difference in the Koaloha's sound does it for me.

this is the reason, you should play them if can. can or wot? they are all distinct sounds and depending on the day i like a different one each time. so uh yeah... like deach said get um all....

KANILEA, Koaloha or HONU...so im looking to get a really nice soprano or concert and with droppin so much cashhh $$ (at least for me) i want to make sure im gettin the BANG for my buck ya digg? haha please if you dont mind give some insight...

Is there any reason why you haven't looked into the Kamaka concert?

I have a Kanile'a and love it - it's the current design with the TRU bracing - don't know if it really makes a difference or not, as I've not compared the older design in a soprano (though my concert Kanile'a is pre-TRU bracing and it's wonderful, too). Anyway, it's quite loud and has a gorgeous sound with sustain that really surprises me in such a little instrument.

You're not really going to get a helpful answer here - both Kanile'a and Koaloha are terrific instruments (can't really say much about Honu, though I've heard great things about them, too), so the difference really just comes down to individual preference. If there is any way to try all three out, you really should. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, and I think you'd be very happy with any, but if it's really bugging at you, then see if you can try all three...

ya ill have to say this all started as my journey for a koaloha but so many different brands have been popping up and my clear vision has become distorted..im going to my local shop today to play through and get a feel

After playing all three, I can honestly say, buy all three.

haha if only my pockets were soo deeep

thanks

i was looking at a kamaka the other day and it sounded great..i guess my main reason for not looking more into it is because MGM didnt have any

One thing I learned is get what you started out to get and you'll never regret not getting it.

Honu is the least expensive of the 3 but also the only import (made in Vietnam). Another made in Hawaii ukulele worth consideration is the Keli'i, and they are competitive with imports in price, and MGM has one in stock!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kelii-SUPER-SOP...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
01b3_1.JPG

If you live in the OC, try heading over to Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach. Shirley shouldn't have a problem with you playing their high-end ukes. She might also be able to hook you up with a deal comparable to MGM.

I second the notion of going to Island Bazaar. I got my Kanile'a there, and I love it. I've never played or heard a Honu in person, but if I were you, I'd choose the KoAloha or Kanile'a. KoAlohas are incredibly loud, but I prefer the sweet sound of the Kanile'a.

I also second the notion that you might want to consider Kamaka. I have both a Kanile'a and a Kamaka and love them both. The Kanile'a is a bit louder, but I'm playing the Kamaka more often.

Whatever you choose, be sure to post photos for us!!

Whatever you do

Just don't buy a Mahalo.

If you get a Mahalo they usually have faults with the tunning pegs or somthing along those lines.

Like I made my Mahalo really good buy putting les paul machine heads on it and buying nyglut strings but I'd rather not have the hassle.

Kanile'a are quite nice uke's

Kamaka doesnt make longneck concerts and wrong place to ask other things

Top Bottom