Best pickup for a Bushman Tenor??

amute

Reaction score
Hello everyone and I hope this finds you well.
Okay so I'm hunting down the BEST pickup for my new Bushman Jenny Tenor.
I'd like to hear what y'all think or better what you use.

I'd like to go active but don't want to deal with the battery or on-board EQ cut into my Uke. So I was thinking Mi-Si? Anyone us or know of this system??

Any information/feedback on the Mi-Si would be very helpful and welcome!
Here's a link to the system's site and what I'm looking at buying.
The Mi-Si Acoustic Trio system
http://www.mi-si.com/trio.html

If I go with a passive pickup what do you feel is best? L.R. Baggs or Fishman?

Thanx again for any help y'all give & much respect to Ukulele Underground for the great site and wonderful forum.
p.s. yea this is my first thread...and second post. :shaka:

The Mi-Si is wonderful! My husband installed one in my Bushman Engelmann and I loved it so much that when I got my Mainland Cedar he installed one in that as well.

Thank you, in fact I think it was your post I first read that turned me on to the Mi-Si system. I just wish I had the chance to play a Uke w/ the Mi-Si in it already. But it'll be a leap of faith I guess.

Also just wondering a little about the supercapacitor and it holding a strong charge for a long enough period. I know I wouln't lose the charger and I'm sure I'll even get a back one just in case... :D

But while I wait to turn in my ol'beer cans for the cash to buy the pickup I wanna hear what others use or think is best.

So far the Mi-Si has got me sold! And I thank you for that! :rock:

You've really got two schools of thought. One is that a decent pre-amped system like the Mi-Si is the way to go because it can be used with only an ampifier and a cord - or even directly into a PA system.

The other school of thought is that a piezo undersaddle transducer is a piezo undersaddle transducer, and that pre-amping is a fact of life - so you might as well go passive and use an outboard preamp between the uke and the amp.

Either way is fine. I do believe that preamping is a fact of life. I have an LR Baggs Ribbon Transducer system (preamp with 9v battery) in my Taylor acoustic but I still use a separate outboard preamp when going directly into the church PA because it just sounds more natural that way.

Also just wondering a little about the supercapacitor and it holding a strong charge for a long enough period. I know I wouln't lose the charger and I'm sure I'll even get a back one just in case..

The capacitor should hold a charge for 8 to 10 hours of playing. Charging only takes a minute. If you lose the power pack you can also quick charge the pickup with a 9 volt battery by simply touching the battery posts to the ground and the hot ring of the jack for a minute. My big concern with the Mi-Si was being dependent on the power pack but the 9 volt battery is a real cool solution. If I played with a Mi-Si pickup I'd always carry a 9 volt battery in my case just as a backup.

The capacitor should hold a charge for 8 to 10 hours of playing. Charging only takes a minute. If you lose the power pack you can also quick charge the pickup with a 9 volt battery by simply touching the battery posts to the ground and the hot ring of the jack for a minute. My big concern with the Mi-Si was being dependent on the power pack but the 9 volt battery is a real cool solution. If I played with a Mi-Si pickup I'd always carry a 9 volt battery in my case just as a backup.

Thank you for the info bro!
I'm thinking I'll just order a replacement power pack from Mi-Si rightaway just in case things happen.

But thank you for the tip and reply man! :shaka:

Top Bottom