The Flea and Fluke Flotilla!

Thumper

Reaction score
In response to the excellent Kamaka Klub thread, I think we need a similar thread celebrating the plasticky wonderfulness of our cherished Fleas and Flukes. So I propose the formation of the Flea and Fluke Flotilla!

We all know it takes a certain kind of ukester to embrace a Flea or Fluke. A rebel, a free thinker, who is comfortable with the fact that his or her beloved instrument can also serve as a canoe paddle, a Tupperware substitute, and a pretty decent tennis racquet.

So let's see 'em, in all their injection-molded-ABS-with-fiber-glass-reinforcement glory!

Here's mine, a concert Flea adorned in the Bark Cloth design. I'm rocking a set of Aquilas on it, and it's a big hit in the back yards and dog parks where I make the bulk of my musical appearances.

flea_on_swing_5.jpg

Okay, I showed you mine. Join the Flotilla, and show me yours!

:shaka:

Here's mine. A tenor fluke that I play so much the fret dots have worn off. I used silver marker on them just the other day. Now I can see where I'm going again.

Attachments

• TenorFluke.jpg
    TenorFluke.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 20
You might try an alliance with the Fluke Foundation? Or perhaps, join it even? We've got your back.

@Raygf: try silver nail polish. Or any color for that matter. A nice dot on the markers, let dry and you have some fret markers that do not come off!

Have not taken any pics:( but I have 2 normal Soprano's, one in natural and the other with a pickup in hibiscus if that is thr right way to spell it:D

AND, a brand new Koa top Concert Flea which I have only had about 5 days. This one has all the upgrades and because its a Concert, it is a very slightly harder for me to play as I am so used to a Soprano.

Personally, I think the whole range is the best pound for pound Uke's price wise in any class.

You might try an alliance with the Fluke Foundation? Or perhaps, join it even? We've got your back.

@Raygf: try silver nail polish. Or any color for that matter. A nice dot on the markers, let dry and you have some fret markers that do not come off!

Many thanks for the tip honorable UkeNinja. The permanent marker does seem to be coming off on the fret board, but the side marks I added are not.

I just joined the Foundation. I may send this one back some day and have a rosewood fingerboard installed.

Last edited:
Here's my baby (new pineapple concert with rosewood, currently strung with Worth Browns and a Fremont low G) :

IMG_0954.jpg

Love the Tiki and Bark Cloth designs too. Once I get a tenor to balance my collection, I'm going to throw it off balance again by getting another Flea. ;)

Hey, Rev, how would you compare the plastic and wood fretboards. Once I get my Mainland uke I plan to send my flea in for a new fretboard as the frets on my plastic one have grooves.

I am considering the wood as the metal frets are more durable - but wondered about playability. But I also like the plastic because I kinda take this uke everywhere and it seems more durable regarding weather, moisture, etc.

Man, that Pineapple Flea looks great with the Rosewood neck!

JJ

Hey, Rev, how would you compare the plastic and wood fretboards. Once I get my Mainland uke I plan to send my flea in for a new fretboard as the frets on my plastic one have grooves.

I am considering the wood as the metal frets are more durable - but wondered about playability. But I also like the plastic because I kinda take this uke everywhere and it seems more durable regarding weather, moisture, etc.

It's hard to do a direct comparison because the wooden fretboard is tenor scale while the plastic one is soprano. I would say that the notes up the fretboard articulate a bit better with the metal frets, due in some part to the fact that they're taller.

Really though I think it's a matter of personal preference. I have nothing against the polycarbonate fretboard. I've heard that FMM guarantees the plastic one for life and will replace a worn one for free - though I haven't confirmed that. Mine is showing no signs of wear, which means either I don't play it enough or I have a light touch. Probably the latter.

Top Bottom