when a Hawaiien traditional sounds like a pantera song

pink flamingo

Reaction score
hm, possibly the most idiotic question asked on the forum, but my strumming is just too damn load. It sounds rather more like I'm digging into my strings with a sledge hammer (especially when I'm using a chunk) instead of sounding like I'm applying the delicate handling of my finger tips (sexual innuendo not intended). The faster I play the harder I tend to dig and it just doesn't flow man. Does one finger/four fingers make a difference on the down? Thumb stroke or back of pointer finger on the up? Is there a way of telling what amount of pressure to apply?

The answer is practice practice practice isn't it?

well I guess I'm off to join the local heavy metal ukulele orchestra.

Think mild. Think easy listening. Think adult contemporary. Try to be as soft and gentle as you can. Think of the song you want to play as performed by The Carpenters. You'll find a softer, more pleasing strum.

John Lee Hooker said, "forget them fancy chords and get that slooooow beat." Think about the groove, not the speed.

It's all about control and economy of movement. I'm willing to bet that your whole forearm is strumming, and your hand goes way past the strings on the upstrokes and downstrokes.

Try limiting your strumming movement to your wrist, and going only as far as you need to on your strokes.

ah cheers guys, thanks for the feedback

you are right about the forearm thing of course
economy of movement, consider it written down in my mental notebook

ah cheers guys, thanks for the feedback

you are right about the forearm thing of course
economy of movement, consider it written down in my mental notebook

Glad to know we helped a bit. By the way, Pantera rules. Let us know how it's coming along, eh?

It's all about control and economy of movement. I'm willing to bet that your whole forearm is strumming, and your hand goes way past the strings on the upstrokes and downstrokes.

Try limiting your strumming movement to your wrist, and going only as far as you need to on your strokes.

Economy of movement...I like that! :p:shaka:

Top Bottom