PDA

View Full Version : Should everyone have a 6-string?

artcrocker
06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Just wondered if I am missing something great by not having a 6 string? Also wondered if they suited playing finger-style? Looks like you have to get used to stringing both paired strings. I assume they are suited more for strumming?

specialmike
06-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I thought about buying a 6 string ukulele, but... for now, I'm going to stick to a four string until I've acquired enough to satisfy me.

RevWill
06-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes, and that six string should be a Fender Telecaster.

Just kidding. But I love me some Telecasters.

jkevinwolfe
06-19-2009, 05:24 PM
If God wanted us to play six strings God would have given us seven fingers.

bbycrts
06-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I had an 8-string. Liked it, but it was limited. Sold it. Of all the ukes I've loved before, a 6-string has never featured in the list...

Myala509
06-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I think you should have a six string but it should be a guitar. And learn one really impressive picking song. That way if they do the guitar vs ukulele crap just pull out the guitar play the impressive song and shut them up.

experimentjon
06-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes, and that six string should be a Fender Telecaster.
Just kidding. But I love me some Telecasters.

Actually, I'm going to agree on this. I've played 6 strings in stores, and at times I have sort of wanted a 6 string (or 8 string), but I have found that I just don't dig them. They're for strumming, and although I guess you can do some fingerpicking on them, it's really not as good as a regular 4 string uke. I don't really like the octaved sound either...although it is more "full bodied" it just wasn't for me. And the feel is awkward too, to have to press down two strings in some places and just one string in another. (8 string is a little better because you're pressing 2 strings everywhere, but it's still not that great for me.)

I might buy a 6 string uke in the future if I find a really good deal, but for now, the only things I have with six strings are my Mele Guitarlele, and my guitars. And yes. The Telecaster is awesome. I have a MIM one in natural finish. It is awesome (if only I could figure out what is making my pickups muddy...)

ricdoug
06-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Like several here have stated, I like six strings on my guitars. Slap a capo on them at the 5th fret... instant uke! Ric

KC8AFW
06-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, and that six string should be a Fender Stratocaster.

There...fixed it for you. :D

GrumpyCoyote
06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
They're for strumming, and although I guess you can do some fingerpicking on them, it's really not as good as a regular 4 string uke...
Tiamane Gardner plays an 8 string - believe me when I tell you, it's not "just for strumming". She proves that point quite well. Some of the finest and most impressive solos and elegant fingerpicking on any uke.

That said, they are not for everyone, and they are often used for strumming - I'm thinking about an 8, but it's definitely a big change from 4. I love the sound though.

Captain Google
06-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm of the opinion that you should either go for 8 strings or stick to 4.

Kaneohe til the end
06-19-2009, 08:54 PM
I used to think like so many of the replies so far, stick to the 4 string. My answer to that now would be... You've never played a really good 6 string. After I played the ima'ikalani at the shop, I was friggin blown away. It so happened to be one of the first made, and the intonation is a hair off, but it still blew me away. I've wanted a 6 string ever since. (Although I still want my 4 string custom)

experimentjon
06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I used to think like so many of the replies so far, stick to the 4 string. My answer to that now would be... You've never played a really good 6 string. After I played the ima'ikalani at the shop, I was friggin blown away. It so happened to be one of the first made, and the intonation is a hair off, but it still blew me away. I've wanted a 6 string ever since. (Although I still want my 4 string custom)

Heh...maybe I need to try one next time I'm at KoAloha.

Doubt it'll make me want one though...it's all about 6 string guitars!
(And yeah, I like stratocasters too)

Dino
06-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Taimane does play on an 8-string but I don't think she has all 8 string strung.....maybe I wasn't seeing it correctly but that's what I think I saw.

Tiamane Gardner plays an 8 string - believe me when I tell you, it's not "just for strumming". She proves that point quite well. Some of the finest and most impressive solos and elegant fingerpicking on any uke.

That said, they are not for everyone, and they are often used for strumming - I'm thinking about an 8, but it's definitely a big change from 4. I love the sound though.

Ahnko Honu
06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm holding out for a 8 string Taro Patch. ;)

Dino
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey Art,
Okay....I'm going to be the one for 6 and 8 string ukes. Actually, I have both. I have an 8-string Koa Kala with pickup (my only one with pickup) and I have a 6-string custom Koa by Tangi....and not to mention 2 4-string ukes. My tastes change from day to day. I have to first say that I am not a picking, shred up and down, tear up the uke type of player. I like to strum and sing. When we get together and jam, I usually bring my 6 or 8 string for a good full strum sound......you need seperation. I sometimes play with some guys on the island.....Bass, and 2 rhythm guitars and my 8-string. Such a different sound but it compliments the other instruments. I say....GET ONE OF EACH! hahahaha. Actually, the 6-string will be a little more difficult to play due to the octave string size.....your fingers dont press down evenly unlike the 8-string have similar string gauges. You want full sound....go for an 8 string. Just my opinion.

Just wondered if I am missing something great by not having a 6 string? Also wondered if they suited playing finger-style? Looks like you have to get used to stringing both paired strings. I assume they are suited more for strumming?

Kanaka916
06-20-2009, 05:28 AM

See this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150262&postcount=23) about Taimane's Custom Kamaka 8 string and click on the video link. As far as a 6 and 8 string ukes go, I have both, they're fun playing and each has it's own distinct sound. Can you pick on 'em, sure as hell can. On the six string, the A course is in unison (both high A strings) with a low G.

haole
06-20-2009, 06:21 AM
I'd love to have a 6-string or an 8-string. They're great for strumming, but I took a Mya-Moe 6-string for a spin at Uke Fest and had a great time picking it too! Always liked the way picking sounds on an instrument with doubled strings (I bought a Rickenbacker 12-string so I could get the McGuinn/Harrison sound!). Good thing about a 6 or 8 string uke is that you can always take off the extras and play it like a 4-string with slightly wonky string spacing (but it's really not that bad).

dnewton2
06-20-2009, 02:50 PM

I haven't read a statement I agree with more than this. (Nothing agianst the guitar but 4 strings-4 fingers makes sense to me.)

As for the six string. I tried one for a week or so and they do sound nice. I personaly didn't dig it but that may change in the future. They can be picked but it takes some practice. I love the 4 strings but people that can play a 6 or 8 string well blow my mind.

nikolo727
06-20-2009, 03:19 PM
well ive played ukes that had up to like 12 strings, but nothing is better than teh 4 string. More strings sound pertty, but i like the 4 strings better because its easier to upkeep, tune, and pick.

ukulelebadass
06-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I think you should have a six string but it should be a guitar. And learn one really impressive picking song. That way if they do the guitar vs ukulele crap just pull out the guitar play the impressive song and shut them up.

Usually when I pull out a guitar to shut someone up it's because I'm looking for something heavier to beat them about the head with...

But seriously, I sometimes think I'd go for an 8 string, it make's more sense to me... I mean they don't make 9 string guitars right?

Kanaka916
06-20-2009, 06:06 PM
You know a 5 string uke is also available . . . I wonder what comments would be posted on that?

haole
06-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Usually when I pull out a guitar to shut someone up it's because I'm looking for something heavier to beat them about the head with...

But seriously, I sometimes think I'd go for an 8 string, it make's more sense to me... I mean they don't make 9 string guitars right?

I used to play my Rick 12-string as a 9-string. Took the doubled G, B, and high E off so I could bend. ;)

specialmike
06-20-2009, 07:06 PM
You know a 5 string uke is also available . . . I wonder what comments would be posted on that?

who makes them? OR are they meant to be... banjo ukes?

Kanaka916
06-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Kanile'a makes 'em and I'm quite sure the other Hawaiian builders will (probably a little extra). The G is octaved.

http://ukulele.pua2.com/photo/uke/vt50_2.jpg

Jimmy
06-21-2009, 04:48 AM
I dig the sound you get from 6 and 8 strings. George Harrison played a six string a lot on a couple of his albums so I'd love to get one.

ukulelebadass
06-21-2009, 05:36 AM
I used to play my Rick 12-string as a 9-string. Took the doubled G, B, and high E off so I could bend. ;)

Hmm... Very interesting, man the people on this site come up with some awesome ideas. Yes, bending, good point I hadn't thought of that.

Dino
06-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Here's a 5-string concert someone posted on Hawaii Craigslist.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1231063806.html

J Holla
06-21-2009, 08:26 PM

haha seriously the greatest thing i have heard all day!!!!

ichadwick
06-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Just wondered if I am missing something great by not having a 6 string?
A six string strikes me as an interesting instrument, but lacks the depth and richness of an eight-string. If you're going to double-up strings, why not do them all?

And yes, you're missing something without the eight!

rainbowprof
06-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Certainly Taimane plays and picks on her 8 string, but it often if not usually it's strung with 6 strings...

FHS-72
06-22-2009, 05:38 AM

I think there's a guy named Patrick Inouye on the island of Hawaii. He moved there from Oahu so that he could be closer to the koa sellers. I played one of his 5-string ukes and it was nice. I'll probably order one in the near future.

06-22-2009, 06:44 AM
shawn, i think, used to sell a kanile`a 5 string with the A string doubled up for CHEAP.