Should everyone have a 6-string?

artcrocker

Reaction score
Bloomfield, Michigan & Melbourne, Florida
Just wondered if I am missing something great by not having a 6 string? Also wondered if they suited playing finger-style? Looks like you have to get used to stringing both paired strings. I assume they are suited more for strumming?

I thought about buying a 6 string ukulele, but... for now, I'm going to stick to a four string until I've acquired enough to satisfy me.

Yes, and that six string should be a Fender Telecaster.

Just kidding. But I love me some Telecasters.

I had an 8-string. Liked it, but it was limited. Sold it. Of all the ukes I've loved before, a 6-string has never featured in the list...

I think you should have a six string but it should be a guitar. And learn one really impressive picking song. That way if they do the guitar vs ukulele crap just pull out the guitar play the impressive song and shut them up.

Yes, and that six string should be a Fender Telecaster.
Just kidding. But I love me some Telecasters.

Actually, I'm going to agree on this. I've played 6 strings in stores, and at times I have sort of wanted a 6 string (or 8 string), but I have found that I just don't dig them. They're for strumming, and although I guess you can do some fingerpicking on them, it's really not as good as a regular 4 string uke. I don't really like the octaved sound either...although it is more "full bodied" it just wasn't for me. And the feel is awkward too, to have to press down two strings in some places and just one string in another. (8 string is a little better because you're pressing 2 strings everywhere, but it's still not that great for me.)

I might buy a 6 string uke in the future if I find a really good deal, but for now, the only things I have with six strings are my Mele Guitarlele, and my guitars. And yes. The Telecaster is awesome. I have a MIM one in natural finish. It is awesome (if only I could figure out what is making my pickups muddy...)

They're for strumming, and although I guess you can do some fingerpicking on them, it's really not as good as a regular 4 string uke...
Tiamane Gardner plays an 8 string - believe me when I tell you, it's not "just for strumming". She proves that point quite well. Some of the finest and most impressive solos and elegant fingerpicking on any uke.

That said, they are not for everyone, and they are often used for strumming - I'm thinking about an 8, but it's definitely a big change from 4. I love the sound though.

I used to think like so many of the replies so far, stick to the 4 string. My answer to that now would be... You've never played a really good 6 string. After I played the ima'ikalani at the shop, I was friggin blown away. It so happened to be one of the first made, and the intonation is a hair off, but it still blew me away. I've wanted a 6 string ever since. (Although I still want my 4 string custom)

I used to think like so many of the replies so far, stick to the 4 string. My answer to that now would be... You've never played a really good 6 string. After I played the ima'ikalani at the shop, I was friggin blown away. It so happened to be one of the first made, and the intonation is a hair off, but it still blew me away. I've wanted a 6 string ever since. (Although I still want my 4 string custom)

Heh...maybe I need to try one next time I'm at KoAloha.

Doubt it'll make me want one though...it's all about 6 string guitars!
(And yeah, I like stratocasters too)

Taimane does play on an 8-string but I don't think she has all 8 string strung.....maybe I wasn't seeing it correctly but that's what I think I saw.

Tiamane Gardner plays an 8 string - believe me when I tell you, it's not "just for strumming". She proves that point quite well. Some of the finest and most impressive solos and elegant fingerpicking on any uke.

That said, they are not for everyone, and they are often used for strumming - I'm thinking about an 8, but it's definitely a big change from 4. I love the sound though.

I'm holding out for a 8 string Taro Patch. ;)

Hey Art,
Okay....I'm going to be the one for 6 and 8 string ukes. Actually, I have both. I have an 8-string Koa Kala with pickup (my only one with pickup) and I have a 6-string custom Koa by Tangi....and not to mention 2 4-string ukes. My tastes change from day to day. I have to first say that I am not a picking, shred up and down, tear up the uke type of player. I like to strum and sing. When we get together and jam, I usually bring my 6 or 8 string for a good full strum sound......you need seperation. I sometimes play with some guys on the island.....Bass, and 2 rhythm guitars and my 8-string. Such a different sound but it compliments the other instruments. I say....GET ONE OF EACH! hahahaha. Actually, the 6-string will be a little more difficult to play due to the octave string size.....your fingers dont press down evenly unlike the 8-string have similar string gauges. You want full sound....go for an 8 string. Just my opinion.

Just wondered if I am missing something great by not having a 6 string? Also wondered if they suited playing finger-style? Looks like you have to get used to stringing both paired strings. I assume they are suited more for strumming?

See this thread about Taimane's Custom Kamaka 8 string and click on the video link. As far as a 6 and 8 string ukes go, I have both, they're fun playing and each has it's own distinct sound. Can you pick on 'em, sure as hell can. On the six string, the A course is in unison (both high A strings) with a low G.

Last edited:
I'd love to have a 6-string or an 8-string. They're great for strumming, but I took a Mya-Moe 6-string for a spin at Uke Fest and had a great time picking it too! Always liked the way picking sounds on an instrument with doubled strings (I bought a Rickenbacker 12-string so I could get the McGuinn/Harrison sound!). Good thing about a 6 or 8 string uke is that you can always take off the extras and play it like a 4-string with slightly wonky string spacing (but it's really not that bad).

If God wanted us to play six strings God would have given us seven fingers.

I haven't read a statement I agree with more than this. (Nothing agianst the guitar but 4 strings-4 fingers makes sense to me.)

As for the six string. I tried one for a week or so and they do sound nice. I personaly didn't dig it but that may change in the future. They can be picked but it takes some practice. I love the 4 strings but people that can play a 6 or 8 string well blow my mind.

well ive played ukes that had up to like 12 strings, but nothing is better than teh 4 string. More strings sound pertty, but i like the 4 strings better because its easier to upkeep, tune, and pick.

Top Bottom