PDA

View Full Version : newbie replacing vintage friction tuners - help!

shimpiphany
06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
just bought an old uke, branded williams.

two of the tuners are shot - the headstock is 9mm thick and the holes 4 mm in diameter. are there stock tuners i can drop in or am i going to have to drill out the holes? i am nervous i'll ruin the uke if i have to do that.

none of the tuners for sale online seem to have size specs.

thanks for your help!

Fred Miu
06-19-2009, 10:02 PM
just bought an old uke, branded williams.

two of the tuners are shot - the headstock is 9mm thick and the holes 4 mm in diameter. are there stock tuners i can drop in or am i going to have to drill out the holes? i am nervous i'll ruin the uke if i have to do that.

none of the tuners for sale online seem to have size specs.

thanks for your help!

im not positive about my answer, but i talked story with guting last year, and he took his tuners off and put them in a different way (angle). so im sure you can take the tuners off. but you might need a small wrench.

i hope i helped a little bit. if not, i read your post completely wrong haha

seeso
06-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Sorry you haven't gotten a sufficient reply on this yet. I wish I could help you, but I haven't gone through the same problem before.

I would just buy a set of friction tuners and measure them to see if you would have to drill or not.

You might want to consider replacing them with PegHed (http://www.pegheds.com/) tuners. They're geared tuners that look like friction/violin tuners.

The ones that are made for the guitar/violin are 7mm, so you would have to drill.