newbie replacing vintage friction tuners - help!

shimpiphany

Reaction score
just bought an old uke, branded williams.

two of the tuners are shot - the headstock is 9mm thick and the holes 4 mm in diameter. are there stock tuners i can drop in or am i going to have to drill out the holes? i am nervous i'll ruin the uke if i have to do that.

none of the tuners for sale online seem to have size specs.

thanks for your help!

just bought an old uke, branded williams.

two of the tuners are shot - the headstock is 9mm thick and the holes 4 mm in diameter. are there stock tuners i can drop in or am i going to have to drill out the holes? i am nervous i'll ruin the uke if i have to do that.

none of the tuners for sale online seem to have size specs.

thanks for your help!

im not positive about my answer, but i talked story with guting last year, and he took his tuners off and put them in a different way (angle). so im sure you can take the tuners off. but you might need a small wrench.

i hope i helped a little bit. if not, i read your post completely wrong haha

Sorry you haven't gotten a sufficient reply on this yet. I wish I could help you, but I haven't gone through the same problem before.

I would just buy a set of friction tuners and measure them to see if you would have to drill or not.

You might want to consider replacing them with PegHed tuners. They're geared tuners that look like friction/violin tuners.

The ones that are made for the guitar/violin are 7mm, so you would have to drill.

Top Bottom