Return, and a confession.

Johnny Elsewhere

Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

For those of you who know me; it's great to be back on the forums!

I kind of lost the real "passion," for the ukulele after I started playing in a band with some of my friends for the last few months, but after a lot of drama went down, I realized I wasn't as happy as I was playing the guitar as I was playing the ukulele.

Even though I started playing the guitar about fourteen or fifteen years ago, playing the ukulele has been that much more enjoyable for me. There are not as many limitations for me as there is on a guitar. I have very short fingers on my right hand, as some of you may have noticed in my videos on YouTube, however .. Since there is little to no 'finger-picking' on the ukulele for me, I find it very fulfilling and gratifying that I can do the things that I want on an instrument.

So, my confession to everyone here .. I'm absolutely in love with ukulele playing, as I was before I joined a rock-band earlier this year. It felt I was blinded by the music scene out here, and it overwhelmed me to the point where I convinced myself that it was necessary to be in a rock-band. But, being around potheads and the like started depressing me to the point where I wanted to give up music all together.

However, rejoice, ukulele lovers! You have one more member back within the community!

I am currently saving up for a new ukulele; a Kamaka is out of my range, but I'm looking for a really nice one with a really full sound. I like the Kala tenor that I currently have, but it has a hump in the fretboard near the base of the neck, and the tone of it is too thin for my liking. The last few times I've played it through a P.A, and my practice amp, it sounded like steel string guitar.

So! Discuss getting back into something you really love, such as ukulele playing, and what kind of wood, or in this case, brand of ukulele has that really warm and full sound.

It's GREAT to be back, everyone! Words cannot say how happy I am!

Wow, we have very similar stories, bro. Welcome back to the awesome side.

As for thinness when plugged in.. I've found that is the case for too many acou-elecs. Only the really expensive ones have good electronics it seems. Kinda sucks. I have to EQ my mainland quite a bit to get a full, mellow tone like when it's unplugged.

Wow, we have very similar stories, bro. Welcome back to the awesome side.

As for thinness when plugged in.. I've found that is the case for too many acou-elecs. Only the really expensive ones have good electronics it seems. Kinda sucks. I have to EQ my mainland quite a bit to get a full, mellow tone like when it's unplugged.

One thing that really helps is having a good acoustic amp. The other thing, though, is tweaking the EQ until you get more fullness without mud.

To the OP: It has been my experience that Kala ukes Nanoflex pickup is pretty good. You probably need to boost the bass and cut back the top end to get a fuller sound. Strings can also made a huge difference.

I bet the ukulele came before the guitar, just no one ever made a record or if. Think about it! You don't randomly go strap 6 strings on a log and create a guitar out of nothing. I bet they experimented and had created the ukulele long long long ago, way before a guitar was created. :) Only, they decided to keep the guitar and do away with the ukulele.

Top Bottom