PDA

View Full Version : D chord

sophie358
06-20-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm just starting out with the ukulele. I can play a couple of songs but am struggling the the D chord on two accounts:

First, different websites for songs are showing me different finger placements for the chord. Some 2220 and some 2224. Which is correct?

Second, i find that when i play the chord the strings are somewhat muted instead of the nice rich sound from an easier chord. Am i pressing too hard? Not pressing hard enough? Or will it just get nicer sounding wht practice?

Thanks!

ukeshale
06-20-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm just starting out with the ukulele. I can play a couple of songs but am struggling the the D chord on two accounts:

First, different websites for songs are showing me different finger placements for the chord. Some 2220 and some 2224. Which is correct?

Second, i find that when i play the chord the strings are somewhat muted instead of the nice rich sound from an easier chord. Am i pressing too hard? Not pressing hard enough? Or will it just get nicer sounding wht practice?

Thanks!

the most common fingering is 2220. it sounds like you're not pressing hard enough or you're possibly muting some of the other strings with some of your fingers. you'll be fine in time! practice fixes everything. use the 'search' function up top there if you ever have trouble with chord fingerings and there's a chance someone may have posted some pictures or demo videos to help you out in a previous thread :D happy playing!

Kanaka916
06-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Both are correct. Here's a handy little tool (http://www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele/index.html) to assist you. As far as the muted sound from the chords, you'll probably need to apply a little more pressure to the strings and that comes with practice.

seeso
06-20-2009, 04:55 AM

2224 is incorrect. 2224 is a Dmaj7. The closest correct fingering for a D chord would be 2225.

It's possible that you're not pressing the strings down hard enough. Fret your D chord and test each finger to find the culprit. The ones that sound "muted" are the ones that need to be pressed down harder.

If you feel you are pressing down hard enough, then you could be lightly touching strings with your fingers (other than the ones you're supposed to be touching). Fret the chord and test each finger separately. Finagle your fingers around until you get a good sound from each individual string. You'll probably have to "claw" your fingers more than you've been.

After you get a good sound from each finger, try your chord out as a strum. It should sound much better.

Kanaka916
06-20-2009, 05:00 AM
How the hell did I miss that 2224 . . . oh yea, glasses help . . .

sophie358
06-20-2009, 05:17 AM
thanks a lot guys. I'm going to practice some more :)

Ukulele JJ
06-20-2009, 05:49 AM
For the 2220 version, a lot of it depends on you what fingers you use to play it.

Some use just the upper knuckle or two of one finger. Some use three fingers (in various configurations), others use two fingers (covering two strings with one finger and one string with the other).

Just do a little experimenting and see what works best for you.

JJ

pink flamingo
06-20-2009, 09:05 AM
For the 2220 version, a lot of it depends on you what fingers you use to play it.

Some use just the upper knuckle or two of one finger. Some use three fingers (in various configurations), others use two fingers (covering two strings with one finger and one string with the other).

Just do a little experimenting and see what works best for you.

JJ

I was just wondering about that whether it was okay to play your d chord with three fingers, my fingers don't want to bent right to do it just with the one, good info

interp1
06-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I was just wondering about that whether it was okay to play your d chord with three fingers, my fingers don't want to bent right to do it just with the one, good info

I tend to find it more versatile to play the D chord with three fingers.

It's very easy to go from D to Dm, the 2020 D7, F, A, A7sus4, Am, Dm7, Dm6, D6, etc.

In most cases, I can leave two fingers exactly where they are on the frets, so it's minimal effort.

Also, it's easy to slide two frets up to play E from there.