Do I want dis un or dis un?

CoffeeMate

Reaction score
Yea! Quarterly bonus check=new ukulele, now which one do I want hmmm....

dis un

http://cgi.ebay.com/Limited-edition-OHANA-CONCERT-dlx-Maple-Spruce-Ukulele_W0QQitemZ330338471315QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DFICS%252BUA%252BUCI%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

or...dis un

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=238

The Ohana is beautiful, and sounds great too and has the flame maple I adore. The Flea is cute, I like the sound, it has an open headstock and is really durable and great to tote around.

a few questions.... How is the action on the fleas? Is the upgraded fretboard worth it?

THANK YOU

Yea! Quarterly bonus check=new ukulele, now which one do I want hmmm....

dis un

http://cgi.ebay.com/Limited-edition-OHANA-CONCERT-dlx-Maple-Spruce-Ukulele_W0QQitemZ330338471315QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DFICS%252BUA%252BUCI%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

or...dis un

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=238

The Ohana is beautiful, and sounds great too and has the flame maple I adore. The Flea is cute, I like the sound, it has an open headstock and is really durable and great to tote around.

a few questions.... How is the action on the fleas? Is the upgraded fretboard worth it?

THANK YOU

Action on the fleas are perfect and low. the zero fret is the reason.
I've had both the plastic and rosewood. Liked the plastic, love the rosewood. but both are great.

JT

Im partial to traditional ukulele shapes, so I'm going to have to say the Ohana. :) But a flea would be a great addition to your arsenal of ukuleles if you don't already have one.

Im partial to traditional ukulele shapes, so I'm going to have to say the Ohana. :) But a flea would be a great addition to your arsenal of ukuleles if you don't already have one.

I like um traditional as well, and that maple is just so very nice, but then the fleas can take a beating and I could take it to work, play it outside in the missouri heat without worry, but the ohana is so dang pretty.....ugh.

thanks for your 2 cents :)

They are the best.

I dealt with them for my fretboard upgrade. Awesome people.

JT

yeah if I get one, def the upgraded fret board and strings. thanks :)

I played a flea or a fluke the other day at coconut groove. I was impressed because it sounded better than I thought it would but at same time I did not see what all the hype about them is. It also had a set of ghs strings on it so that might have had a little to do with the sound.

Get Both

I am sure you would enjoy both of them. I would suspect that they sound different. I tried a Fluke in a music store and found the action very comfortable. And, if I were to get a Flea, I would love the camp design! For me, I would go with the upgraded fingerboard, just for the contrast (so I can see the frets), and the ability to add wound strings if desired. The Ohana is more traditional feeling, and has that beautiful wood! I have always enjoyed the look and feel of those nice wooden ukes. But if I was going to take it out on a rafting trip or hike, I would go for the Flea.

So, what kind of uke do you need/ want?

–Lori

Split the difference - get the Koa Flea... More "traditional" and just as durable. Note: personally, I don't think there is much "traditional" about a cutout tenor - commonplace nowadays, but fairly modern by uke standards.

Flea%20Koa-DET.jpg

I will never stop supporting the Flea because in my opinion it is the best pound for pound Uke out there price wise in any category.

Fleamarket Music is a great company. When I had a Flea made recently, they answered all my questions and then some, and gave me an estimated time of roughly 14 days to make and get it to me in the UK - it took 9 days which is superb.

All the Flea's are set low to help playability to the novice and anyone else who likes Uke's set low. This does not hinder finger picking as there is plenty of stuff on youtube to see.

The rosewood fretboard upgrade is as good as I have seen on any Uke and is worth getting if you want to play a wound low G string.
The tuners on all Fleas are the grover kind, not liked by some including me, but they do work very well on the Fleas.

The ordinary no frills Fleas are equally good in their own right because the sound you will get from a laminate hoop vine top with plastic fretboard and cheapo black strings is pretty darn good.

I have had 1 Ohana Mahogany Concert, the same that is reviewed on youtube by Ken Middleton, and which is sent out with the action unplayably high.
They are good Uke's though and you can have it altered.

Thanks for your opinions everyone :)

Lori- I need/want them both of course. My pocket book says I can have one or the other :p

Grumpy- The koa is lovely but I have a solid koa uke already so I wanted something a bit different.

Witters- The Ohana would come from MGM. He sets them up before he send them out. My husband has a mahogany Ohana from MGM, it is very nice to play. perfect/comfortable action.

Thanks to all for your opinions, I'm almost certain I am going to go with the flea, concert size with upgraded fretboard.

:D

I'll be joining that club soon!

Now that I have another uke to keep me busy, I can send my Lava flea in for the rosewood - wore grooves in the plastic...

I'll be joining that club soon!

Now that I have another uke to keep me busy, I can send my Lava flea in for the rosewood - wore grooves in the plastic...

that's why I sent in King Ooku in for the upgrade.

That was my birthday present (the new fretboard) but well worth it.

ok, I wanna join the concert-flea-with-rosewood-freatboard club! After all there is no concert-ohana-with-pretty solid maple -and abalone binding-club.

AND, because I was sitting outside today on my lunch hour in the missouri heat and humidity,playing my soprano laminate kala thinking gee I wish this was a concert size cause geez I can't play this little thing... I think a flea would be the ticket. BRB :D

Last edited:
Done, 1 concert size with rosewood fretboard camp flea will soon be mine. I wonder if the ups guy will be here soon....I'll just go peak out the window real quick . :music: :D

Top Bottom