Comparison of two ukes

ZacharyToh

Reaction score
The kala ka-s and the ohana sk-20s. can anyone tell me which is better? the pros and cons and stuff? both are made of mahogany. HELP! cant choose. the reviews dont help me very much, as ohana sk-20s dont have a review. tho the ohana is priced 30 dollars more in my country. which do you think is a better buy for me? thanks alot alot alot for answering.

There really is not much of a difference. Specs are equal. Especially when both are stringed with aquilas, the tone and volume is nearly the same. I personally like the ohana over the kala because...I don´t know exactly why. I like them more, period.

I've got both Ohana and Kala ukes. They're equivalent build quality - good valu for the dollar.

Personally I like the Kalas a little better, but the best way for you is to try them both and see which feels best, sounds best in your hands. If one is satin finish, I'd choose it first because the sound will be slightly better (IMHO).​

Can't speak for the Ohana, but I believe that KALA's mahogany series is some of the best bang you can get for your buck. I love mine, it goes everywhere with me, it is nearly indestructible, and sounds better than some instruments I have that cost a couple hundred dollars more.

The Kala you mention is laminated and has geared tuners. It feels a little top-heavy, but holds tune very well and when you do tune it, the geared tuners make it easy. The headstock is small and the tuners really look out of place on it. I'd opt for the concert. The tuners better suit it and it will be a little bit louder. The Ohana is a bit louder. It has a solid top and laminated back and sides. I have a BK-20ce baritone in that same configuration, laminated back and sides, solid mahogany top. If I compare it to the BK-32, which has a solid mahogany body all around, the BK-32 wins by a mile (the BK-20ce has a pickup, the BK-32 does not).

I'd lose the GHS strings and put D'Addarios or Aquilas on it.

Hey. Thanks guys for all your help. Really appreciate it. Anyway.. My sister just bought a mahalo and I'm teaching her although
it's cheap, the sound is umh.. Yeah. Not that good. Cause its laminated. It has the fake sound coming out..I
don't think I will change strings for her. Cause I don't know whether the tuners will
hold. They look abit weak for me. Any it's 1/3 the Uke pro e

Top Bottom