Should i buy this Ukulele?

i have to ask, is Oscar Schmidt a good brand of ukulele to buy? they have them here in Australia, and it doesn't seem the best, simply because.... its the only good 1 in australia i can find..

although, apart from wat i said, it looks great... i have played 1 before and they sound decent. i would buy it.

i have to ask, is Oscar Schmidt a good brand of ukulele to buy? they have them here in Australia, and it doesn't seem the best, simply because.... its the only good 1 in australia i can find..

although, apart from wat i said, it looks great... i have played 1 before and they sound decent. i would buy it.

Well my friend has one and i really liked it . It was the best one i seen around so far so im down to buyyy it =) thanks for your opinion tho helps alot .

oh i just bought that off ebay too! but i got mine for 95 bucks w/ a gig bag.

Oh reallyy??? Give me the link pleeeasee or show me whered you found it attt like right now cuhs im going to sleeep =(

I wonder if that normantxt dude is telling the truth . that was his very first post ever .

I wouldn´t spend any money on an oscar schmidt. I own a Concert and dislike it. It is way overbuilt, heavy, clumsy, quiet and the itchy fretwire makes it really annoying to play it. Intonation is also very poor. Can´t tell you anything about their tenors though, but from my experience I wouldn´t trust their craftmanship. Go´n Get something decent!

i have to ask, is Oscar Schmidt a good brand of ukulele to buy?

It seems they had an average run of Chinese made ukes, with niggly little problems like high action, buzzing strings etc (problems I have on my Oscar, but I'm dealing with them.) As I recall they've since moved their manufacturing to Indonesia, redesigned a few models and their build quality has apparently shot up, and they are now - apparently - very good bang for the buck.

To each their own though, you might find that their ukes are not to your taste for whatever reason, but if they're what's readily available then they are probably quite competitive with what you'd have to otherwise import (to a point.)

p.s. who are you supporting in the Tri Nations? I hate to say it, but both Sth Africa and Aussie are looking very sharp this time around.

It seems they had an average run of Chinese made ukes, with niggly little problems like high action, buzzing strings etc (problems I have on my Oscar, but I'm dealing with them.) As I recall they've since moved their manufacturing to Indonesia, redesigned a few models and their build quality has apparently shot up, and they are now - apparently - very good bang for the buck.

To each their own though, you might find that their ukes are not to your taste for whatever reason, but if they're what's readily available then they are probably quite competitive with what you'd have to otherwise import (to a point.)

p.s. who are you supporting in the Tri Nations? I hate to say it, but both Sth Africa and Aussie are looking very sharp this time around.

thanks for the info, might aswell stay with the brands i know well..

tri nations? wats that

Oscar Schmidt did move their operations to Indonesia and Java. The "professional series" ukes are nice. We are giving away one on the 24th of June and we will be running another give-away in two more months.

I have an OU-5LCE that I am using for recording right now and I also plan to use it gigging to promote the recording.

The OU2, OU3, OU4 (which is the tenor mentioned in the original post) are over-built and have heavy gloss finishes. The newer ones have pretty nice action and the necks I have seen are not plagued with the problems of the past Chinese-made ukes. OS has addressed most of the quality issues.

All of the budget-priced ukes have some quality issues that they are addressing. Even top-shelf ukes can have issues, so, I make buying decisions based on what I expect from a uke and whether it plays the way I anticipate. I seldom buy without playing one first.

The real Oscars are made in Indonesia by Washburn, I own two and they have been a joy to play! Personally, the I've never tried the tenor, but I have a soprano just like this and a Koa concert. I'm happy with them both, true the aren't Ko'Aloha or Kanilea ukes, but the are darn nice for the money. Check this one out... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OSCAR-SCHMIDT-OU5DL-DELUXE-CONCERT-SIZE-KOA-UKULELE_W0QQitemZ220435036979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3352f3bb33&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Which type of Ukulele would sound betterrr? Tenor, Concert, or Suprano?

Advertised as spruce top - which is true - but it's listed as a "select spruce" top, which to me usually screams laminate...I think I I was to go all laminate, I'd go with a Kala or Lanikai.

Advertised as spruce top - which is true - but it's listed as a "select spruce" top, which to me usually screams laminate...I think I I was to go all laminate, I'd go with a Kala or Lanikai.

I agree. The general consensus on the inexpensive Oscars seems to be that they can be tweaked into serious players, but then so can an Amigo... I say spend the extra couple bucks and get yourself a KALA or Lanikai. For that matter you can probably find a nato Lanikai or one of the composite mahogany KALAs for around the same price if you shop around a bit.

As for which sounds better, I'm a tenor man myself, but they all have their place, eventually you'll wind up with at least one of each, as we all do, but I say go for the tenor for now... you'll love the timbre!

Last edited:
Top Bottom