Bellied Kalas

Dirka

Reaction score
Ok, so, I really like my little white Makala, especially now that I put on the Aquilas and the C-String doesn't sound like cheap s** anymore. The only issue I have with it is that the body looks so bellied, i.e. the lower section of the body is way bigger than the upper one.

It's not like that's gonna change anytime soon, but I'd like for my next uke to be closer to the traditional(?) balanced look. I know that's real superficial of me, but as we Singlespeeders say "if it looks scheiße..."

So, my price range is anywhere in between 100 and 200€, or $150-300, so the selection I'm looking at is your regular roster of imports, the O's, Mainland, Mahimahi, and the Europeans APC and Brueko (Applause not so much, their headstock looks weird).

Now, can anyone who owns one or more of said ukes tell me if one or the other is more balanced? I've looked at a lot of pics, but usually I can't quite tell, because they're shot at an angle.

I am quite aware that I could easily circumvent the problem by getting a Pineapple or a flea, and yes, they are on my list, but I also like the traditional uke-style.

In closing I can say that, yes, I know sound should matter more than looks, but from perusing the forums I gather that most of the brands mentioned above deliver a pretty good bang for a buck. Plus I see alot of people getting all hot and bothered by a particular grain of wood, so I figure it's allright to be concerned with such things.

Anyhoo, thanks in advance for any reply, helpful or not (I find that in this forum not helpful often equates amusing).

Peace,
Dirka :shaka:

I can't say anything about quality as I am just beginning the journey to replace my $30 bunged up toy, but was at an ukulele store last week whose inventory tops out about $400.

The owner made mention of how the Ohanas and Vineyards hanging on his wall had more symetrical bodies. This came out of his trying to explain what "dreadnought" refers to.

Dirka,

I'm partial to bellies. They tend of have a lot of volume and sustain, as well as a deeper tone. (Personally I'm not a fan of figure 8 bodies. The pineapples and related bodies like the fleas are it for me.)

That being said, you'd love a Mainland (pineapple or not) if you get your hands on one. Very nice uke for the price.

Thank's guys! The Mainland Mahogany solid is right up there in my top five. Together with the APC Concert Traditional (which has a belly, but is just sooo pretty), the Brueko No.6, one of the Fenders and the concert flea.

Basically I'm just a guy with a severe case of UAS and way too little money... :D

Hey, I don't think you're crazy

I too, am sensitive to the shape of each brand's ukulele. There are variations between makers, and I have skipped passed several brands because I didn't like the proportions of the body shape, or didn't like the shape of the head stock. Some brands are too fancy for me, with too many decorations. There are so many choices for good ukuleles, you have to eliminate some of them somehow.

It also seems to matter which size you are looking at. The soprano version might be less exaggerated than the tenor or baritone. And sometimes, when they make it a "super" size, it means the bottom gets bigger, and that seems to make it look very different than the rest of the line.

–Lori

Uhm, yeah.

I just ordered a Fender Hau'oli at my local music-store.

It was time. I spent way too much time online looking up ukes and almost buying them. Figured it would be the smartest move, since it's less expensive than my other options. Also I've got a place I can go to if there's problems.

The thing is, now I want a better soprano than my Dolphin...

Top Bottom