Picking

Groovy

Reaction score
Being a newbie at Uke playing - I'd appreciate some info on this ...

I've heard people playing awesome runs and improvizations on uke and cuatro (especially Venezuelans.) I'm sure a lot of you reading here know what I'm talking about.

What I'd like to know... is this rapid fire playing done with fingers - or with a pick?

Again, as a newbie - should I approach picking by using my fingers only, or should I use a pick?

Thanks to all

Without hearing or seeing the performances you're referring to, there's no way to tell. I think most rapid-fire stuff is played with a pick, but some people grow their fingernails/thumbnail and use that instead. And of course, some people use their fleshy fingers as well.

You should approach picking the way it feels most comfortable to you.

some machinegun-uking i do is played by a growed thumbnail.
theres a good controlled picking inside.

but if you broke it up (like me now) your in trouble and need to wait 2 weeks since the nail have the right lenght again.

i also tryed a thumbpick, but its the hardest way to play

so maybe a combination of some fingers for chord-playing and a pick für solos is useful; but it need practicing.

as seeso said: find the way you like and feel good

if you like to pick a good thing to use is the low G string i got the aquilas i like um but not everyone does. The low G acts like a fill makes it sound fuller. ya know

From the few videos I have seen on youtube they are not using picks. How do they do it? I would have to say they put alot of time into practise and playing.

From the few videos I have seen on youtube they are not using picks. How do they do it? I would have to say they put alot of time into practise and playing.

Post a link to one of the videos you're talking about. We can try to find out what they're doing.

yep, practice makes perfect! there is alot of ways to do this, you can use your thumb, some use their pointer and middle finger, or a combination of all fingers. its what youre comfortable with.

I would say that you should start out learning with your fingers instead of a pick.
In my opinion, you will be limited using a pick.
I grew out all the nails on my right hand, but do what works for you, it is supposed to be fun, so make sure that it is.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

My brother-in-law picked up my tenor Fluke (and then put money in my bank account so he could keep it. Another one converted! :D ) w/ aquilas, and decided that fingers sounded too soft and thumbnail sounded too hard, so he found a pick that he liked and he rocked that thing.

I know you're not supposed to use a pick, but really, he found the sound that he wanted, and it absolutely worked, so I say that music doesn't need such rules. :)

Me? I'm just figuring out how to use my fingers, and I like that softer sound, and it is good for newbs to learn the "right" way first. He's just not a stringed instrument newb at all, and knew the sound he wanted.

I must be blind, I didn't see any picking at all, some pretty unique strumming and scratching, but no picking venezuelan style, awhhhh!! My suggestion would be just try everything till you find the sound that knocks you off your seat and keeps you practicing cause its fun!!

just like some super fancy guitar players I've seen... I've seen many uke players do this too...

depending on what you're playing or your role in maybe a band setting for example...? It's good to know ALL variations... fingerpicking, thumbpicking and pick picking. LOL

then incorporate it all...

if you worry about breakin nails like I do all the time... lol... sometimes learning how to use a pick is nice! You may notice that the picking sound can come off crisper than the fat on my fingers! HAHAHAH

and if you're the lead uke player, the sound just cuts cleaner w/ a pick!

Overall, just stick the pick in your mouth when you're not soloing, then use it on your solos, spit n all!!! HAHAHAH =)

This is in relation to growing out finger nails to pluck with, and being out of luck for 2 weeks if one breaks:

Alaska picks!

These are godsends. When I first started playing guitar I used them as I can't grow out my nails (my job has strict rules on things like that).

They work brillantly. And you can shape them however you want (as they come a bit long.)

Ultimately I stopped using them, though, as my roomates complain all the time when I play and plucking with the pads of your fingers makes for a quieter sound.

youtube search "venezolano cuatro" or Venezuela.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8AbEr5Yx7c
Hey can someone explain to me why all the Venezuela uke players use the same slotted headstock and strange pick guard setup on their ukes? Never seen this setup before. Very interesting... Just curious...e.lo PS..I'm diggin' this little song!

You guys are all incredible! As a noob I have a lot to learn and every time I go to the forums I learn way too much to digest at once.

This is a fabulous web site. You are all so helpful. I "waste" way too much time here. It's rapidly becoming an addiction!

Using Fake Nails

You could try a set of fake nails with super glue. Just glue it on the finger(s) you're most comfortable picking with and when you're done you can take it off. Another suggestion is to go to a person that does fake nails. I did both of em when I use to gig alot. It changes the sound....alot more crisp! Let me tell you when your fingernail rips off the tip it ain't a pleasant feeling! Alot of guitar, classical guitar and ukulele players all over the world do this!! Look at Estebons guitar commercials....he plays with acrylic nails. Trust me it works!!:D

Happy Playing!!

Top Bottom