setlist?

trizzle333

Reaction score
So, tonight I was invited to play a show at a local bar. It'll be my first show outside of local coffee shops open mics, which give about 10 minutes to play. Now I have about an hour of time to fill, and I may need some help coming up with some songs. Are there some suggestions for good songs to play? Instrumentals are fine as long as they're not too difficult.

Depends on the audience I guess. What kind of people frequent this bar?

Generic advice: Being a bar, kick off with a technically tricky or ironic song to win them over, as their initial - possibly drunk - impression about ukes may be against you. You've got to catch their attention early on. Check out songs by The Reentrants for ideas.

Then a couple of your own songs, or songs they might not expect (pop, rock or comedy songs from the last 20 years), or songs you have in your repertoire that are secret gems. The type of song where they come up to you afterwards and ask you what it's called. Or just play Freebird.

Then finish up with a couple of crowd participation songs such as yelling "Faster" for the Crazy G, or a few sing-a-long songs.

And keep the feel of the songs positive and upbeat - just like the uke. The last thing you want is to rock a set where everyone is happy and buying drinks (something that Bar owners will like, and may ask you to come back again) only to play something depressing or downbeat like Fake Plastic Trees. The last thing you want in your life-long ukeventure is a bar full of drunken emos.

Maybe throw in a bit of banter between songs - keep it brief, maybe factoids about the uke ("did you know about its Portugese heritage? blah blah")

I hope that wasn't too generic, have fun, good luck, and let us know how it goes! Or better yet, get a friend to record it. You can watch it later and see for yourself any areas that you might be able to improve!

Last edited:
Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra relies on earworms. "Tainted Love" goes over real well. Pick a Ramones song. That'd work solo. "I Will Survive" is another good one if you can sell it.

You can always toss in a few familiar standards too like "My Funny Valentine" or "Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)" that aren't that difficult to play if you can pull off the vocals.

I think we all end up listening to the music these days with an ear cocked listening for stuff we can arrange for uke.

"Why Don't We Get Drunk" by Jimmy Buffett would be a good one.

Maybe throw in a bit of banter between songs - keep it brief, maybe factoids about the uke ("did you know about its Portugese heritage? blah blah")

So you say, "so here's a traditional Portugese folk song for you," and play "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" or something.

Whatever you pick, pick from your current list of stuff you know. I tried to add new stuff to a recent open mic and I was so nervous that I forgot the words. But I was fine with the songs I had been playing for months. Good luck with it!

So, tonight I was invited to play a show at a local bar. It'll be my first show outside of local coffee shops open mics, which give about 10 minutes to play. Now I have about an hour of time to fill, and I may need some help coming up with some songs. Are there some suggestions for good songs to play? Instrumentals are fine as long as they're not too difficult.

This is not the time to ask for song suggestions. Pick the songs you play best and go with those. You'll be more comfortable.

Top Bottom