thinking about buying a Kaniela K1 tenor

kim jorgensen

Reaction score
If you are familiar with the Kaniela tenor K1 sound monster please give me your opinions. Personally I love the feel of my Bushman tenor and I also have a Kala archtop. What's the difference in feel, size of the neck, easy of playing low down on the 10th or so? thanks

I played one about 6 months ago at a shop. It felt real nice in my hands and the playability was amazing compared to what I had previously played (KPK, Kala, Stagg). I was not all that impressed with the volume for something named Soundmonster. The tone was very sweet but the volume seemed low.

I didn't really play it down the fretboard, but it was a very nice instrument.

I played one about 6 months ago at a shop. It felt real nice in my hands and the playability was amazing compared to what I had previously played (KPK, Kala, Stagg). I was not all that impressed with the volume for something named Soundmonster. The tone was very sweet but the volume seemed low.

I didn't really play it down the fretboard, but it was a very nice instrument.

i had the same first impression with a satin finish Kanile`a. but as i played it more and more I hear (and FEEL and I mean really feel) the sound. it's why i choose it over a koaloha. It's my low g tenor and the sound is very very full that i had to sharpen it up abit with some clear worths. i'm beginning to lose fondness for the worths so i'll go back to nylons soon (d`addarios are sitting in the case). lots of room on the higher (you say low i say high) frets as well. a little wider on the fret than a koaloha, so i had trouble barring chords for a bit but with playing time it gets easier. the body is a bit deeper than koaloha so i do have a bit of a problem standing with the `ukulele and keeping it high, so it slips. hope that helps a bit.

i had the same first impression with a satin finish Kanile`a. but as i played it more and more I hear (and FEEL and I mean really feel) the sound.

It might be that the instrument hadn't opened up quite yet. I do plan on getting a Kanilea one day.

thanks a lot

i had the same first impression with a satin finish Kanile`a. but as i played it more and more I hear (and FEEL and I mean really feel) the sound. it's why i choose it over a koaloha. It's my low g tenor and the sound is very very full that i had to sharpen it up abit with some clear worths. i'm beginning to lose fondness for the worths so i'll go back to nylons soon (d`addarios are sitting in the case). lots of room on the higher (you say low i say high) frets as well. a little wider on the fret than a koaloha, so i had trouble barring chords for a bit but with playing time it gets easier. the body is a bit deeper than koaloha so i do have a bit of a problem standing with the `ukulele and keeping it high, so it slips. hope that helps a bit.

That helps a lot. Personally I like a thinner neck and that's why I love my Bushmen, tenor and baritone, not to mention their tones. I'm going to Hawaii and I'm going to see whether the neck's too fat for my liking and whehter it's loud enough to justify the expense and having to get rid of my Bushman tenor to pay for it. Your responses are much appreciated.

Top Bottom