ukes and (airport) customs

austin1

Reaction score
hi all!

I've check out the threads about ukes and airplanes, but I was wondering, has anyone ever had any difficulties getting their ukes through customs? specifically, south american customs? I've going to bolivia for six weeks, and I'd like to bring my ukulele, but I'm told the customs officials can be really mean and like to make you pay import tax on random stuff.

and (second question) I know american airlines doesn't much care if you take musical instruments on the plane as a carry on, but has anyone ever run into any problems taking ukes on domestic flights in countries other than the US?

that's all I got, thanks all!

Closest I've gotten to trouble was the lady saying "What's with the mandolin?" ....

ive been asked is that a little guitar before.

but to answer your questions, there should be no problem at all. and i would hope that when you're going to bolivia, the customs shouldn't be unfair. its an instrument that is fragile, so if you mention that, hopefully there shouldn't be a problem.

can't quote me on on that though.

I had trouble once at customs when I put my weed in my ukulele.

You.Can.Put.Your.Weed.In.There.jpg

I've never had any customs official EVER demand duties for my instrument and Trick has been to some unique places. They have been curious and insisted that I play for them as they have never seen a uke before, but it always brings a smile to their face and they tell you have a great day.

Some ask to look inside the body to make sure there is nothing naughty in there. I had one guy who asked if he could hold it as he had never seen anything like it before. He played guitar so I told him chord shapes apply but off by a 5th and away he played a few chords and was all smiles. He was so nice he got a porter for my bags and helped me find the right bus to get on.

It's sort of the cool thing about a uke, it's little, it's cute, and people can't help but smile. Be nice, polite and friendly and the uke will be the least of your worries on your trip.

Top Bottom