problems with trying to pimp my uke...

yomommaslover

Reaction score
i watched the uke min about removing scratches on your uke with that m3 rubbing compound stuff and in my enthusiasm to do it ended up trying it on my satin finish Kala KA TE theres now all this stuff in the wood and to say the least it looks ashy... just making a thread to find out if neone was as dumb as me and did this and if neone knows a way to meby get the stuff off of my uke... thanks for any feed back!

i watched the uke min about removing scratches on your uke with that m3 rubbing compound stuff and in my enthusiasm to do it ended up trying it on my satin finish Kala KA TE theres now all this stuff in the wood and to say the least it looks ashy... just making a thread to find out if neone was as dumb as me and did this and if neone knows a way to meby get the stuff off of my uke... thanks for any feed back!

ooo... tough one. Satin or oil finish + rubbing compound = bad.

Try a damp (with just a bit of water) soft towel first. just give it a try in a small area and see if it helps.

I tried to warn you... :stop:

Sorry, I don't know where to go from there. As long as there's still finish on it, you won't hurt it much more by trying to rinse it with water on a soft cloth. Whatever you did to the finish is probably permanent now, even after getting all the compound off. Might be best to go to a repair shop and see if they could respray a lacquer top coat to even out the finish.

Yea nothing has really worked to get any of the rubbing compound I even talked to the guys at Kala and they suggested googone... which is way powerful stuff but could not take it out... Warning to all if you have a satin finish uke deal with the scratches! haha dont try and fix it! haha you may be out a good 150! haha which in a working college students eyes is a fortune!!!

Is it ... like "deep into" the wood? Or is it like left over residue. If it's the latter, here's an idea.
I know this stuff isn't caulk, but try taking a plastic grocery bag and rub it on there a little. I know that when I get a bunch of caulk on my hand, by rubbing my hands with a grocery bag will get it off.

Orange oil and 0000 steel wool using a light pressure and gentle touch.

Orange oil and 0000 steel wool using a light pressure and gentle touch.

I've also used this exact method with success. I used it on a Mele uke with satin finish. I believe the Kala KA-T's satin finish is actually no finish, just stained, and that's why it absorbed the polish into the pores.

I also polished my satin finished Mele yesterday using Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish, and the uke looks great. It shines like never before, and actually looks like a gloss finish.

Top Bottom