Historians Help

Witters

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Any historians here that can tell me how the Concert, Tenor, and Baritone evolved from the Soprano?

Or, was a Concert size here first and then someone made a smaller one and called it Soprano?

The main reason I ask, (apart from just wanting to know from an interest point of view) is because a long story cut very short, someone pointed out that my Concert is NOT a Ukulele. They said a Ukulele is smaller!

I pointed out that there are several sized Ukulele’s and they said that might be so, but the small one is the real Ukulele.

Blah blah blah, and I said the original one WAS the Soprano, but...and then I got a bit stuck and fumbled through saying that some people wanted a slightly bigger one so someone made a Concert, so on and so forth.

Anyone know the real answer?

Soprano came first in the 1880s. It wasn't until the 1920s that the concert was created with the tenor following shortly thereafter. Baritone didn't come along until the '40s.

I spent some time trying to sort through the various posted histories online. While it's neither long nor complex, the ukulele's history is not fully documented, nor has the definitive version been written (yet). My summary (with links) is on my web site. It's surprisingly contentious in some periods.

I could not find any site that showed definitive dates and manufacturers for the first concerts, tenors or baritones. I do know Arthur Godfrey was the instigator of the baritone size, but don't know when it was first made for commercial sale. If anyone has these dates, please post them.

Yes, a concert is a "real" ukulele, just like as 12-string and an electric are "real" guitars. You might ask your questioner, "Is a Toyota not a real car?" After all, a Toyota is not a Ford and Fords were the first, so is anything other than a Ford "unreal"? Or perhaps anything but a Model A?​

I actually used the different Guitars as an example.

To me anyway, I have heard a few times now about the size thing (no puns please lol) and I expect the main thinking for anyone who don't really know is that the small Uke's (Soprano) is a proper Ukulele.

I actually used the different Guitars as an example.

To me anyway, I have heard a few times now about the size thing (no puns please lol) and I expect the main thinking for anyone who don't really know is that the small Uke's (Soprano) is a proper Ukulele.

For future reference, when dealing with someone who is insistent on his point, ask where he got his information from. It could be he knows something you do not. Then you can adjust your thinking accordingly.

That said, it is equally possible that he doesn't know anything other than his own opinion and is only looking to put you down/piss you off. Everyone gets their turn at being a jerk.

To the point of the thread, I like the automobile and guitar analogies. If you look at this 1917 video of a ukulele being made, it appears small in size. http://www.ukulele.org/?Videos Does that mean the ones built in the 1880s were more correct? And did [they] call it a soprano back then? Or did the names come about as different sizes were developed? I'll bet that no one guy did the development.

For the sake of playing today, the ukulele comes in various forms, sizes, and materials. In some old drag racing lingo: run what ya brung!

Baritone Uke

I believe Herk (Hercules) Favilla created the baritone uke several years before Arthur Godfrey. Godfrey popularized it though.

It is a fact that the Favillas were the original developer of the Baritone Ukulele in the 1940's it was a regular part of their line by 1948 and Herk Favilla Published the first Baritone Ukulele Method in 1949.
- Tom Favilla

Giving credit where due. The Baritone Ukulele was first developed and put into production by the Favilla Brothers (Favilla Guitars) in the early 1940's. While Arthur Godfrey popularized the instrument, he didn't pick it up until 1953. Until then his instrument was still the soprano ukulele, built by Favilla Brothers. He switched to the Vinci Baritone in 1954 and then to the Vega.

The Baritone ukulele was designed and built at the behest of Herk Favilla. They where first built by John (his father) and Frank (his brother) and became a regular part of the Favilla instrument line in 1948.
Herk Favilla published the first Baritone Ukulele method book in 1949.
- The Short Wiki Encyclopedia

Top Bottom