Does anyone else think this is an awesome uke?

There you go. :)
Ya that one looks hard rock! I wonder what it sounds like. I can only see my self playing that wearing a gene simmons dress. :D

SceptreTenorEbony_003.jpg

I like a lot of non-traditional, bold designs. But the Sceptre somehow doesn't engage me. Not sure what it is about the design, but it's not my cup of tea.​

Thanks guys. I've been trying to find someone on youtube playing it, but I haven't found anyone. I think they're currently only available by custom order.

I near positive this is what Jason Arimoto plays blues on. You'll see his on his myspace link. Got to see him play at the Bushman Brewhouse earlier month. He runs it though a shipload of pedals and rocks the thing. I would tell you it sounds unbelievable, but I think you could put a $20 uke in Jason's hands and it would sound unbelievable. He's a hell of a player.

It appears he plays with some kind of baffling inside it to reduce feedback on stage so I didn't get to hear it unplugged in its natural state.

it's a really sick ukulele. I considered buying a sceptre a while back but when I saw this model was coming out, I decided to get something different. But we'll see what happens, does anyone know how one of these would sound? Does ebony make a good string instrument?

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks it's hideous. But thanks for the link to Jason's site. I enjoyed his music muchly. I even went to itunes to buy some, but found nothing. I searched and found some free downloads at ukeland.com. Sweet!

No, Cap'n, you're not the only one. I like ukulele-shaped ukuleles - the sceptre just does nothing at all for me.

It would be even awesomer if the neck was ebony as well.

You'd have to be pretty badass lest you look ridiculous when playing this beast.

I dig the Sceptre, but the Pineapple Sunday is my favorite oddly-shaped uke. Would rather have all koa than spruce/ebony, because it just looks better to me.

there is a video around of Walt Keale playing that very ebony sceptre. i'll find and post link later. i'm at work, it's blocked here. :(

I have the concert koa one, for almost a year now. Still trying to get used to the sound. It's loud but different sound than my kamakas. Much brighter. I really love the sound of the Kamaka and these just need getting used to for me. They are pretty light too and the finish on it is just amazing. Seems to be a lot thicker than my Kamakas. I have Worth Brown Mediums on them right now. nice sound, but sometimes I hear a little bit buzzing sound and noticed that the nut has a little wider groove than the strings I use so there is a little movement and I'm not sure if that is the reason. I know that Koaloha endorses Worth, but does anyone know which worth strings they use for their ukes? what gauge? Anyway, the pic is on my profile. They are set up with standard re-entrant tuning right now but I may switch to low G because I just love playing that way.

Last edited:
I think the ebony/spruce Scepter is pretty cool, but it's hideously expensive. I've seen a couple for sale (one by MGM and one at a shop in Oahu) in excess of $4000. I've never heard one of those ebony Scepters, but I'm pretty sure ebony makes a great ukulele. I've owned an ebony/spruce Pono tenor that was pretty nice and a killer William King ebony/spruce concert. I really like the looks of macassar ebony, which is why I ordered the King in ebony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom