A Great tool for your ukes with peg friction tuners

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
I own several ukes with peg friction tuners, so I need to keep a small screwdriver set around at all times. I used to use the standard set of "jewelry" screwdrivers, but I'd always lose one, or break the plastic case or even break a screwdriver. But now I have one of these babies:
820909602736.jpg

Main reasons for liking it: 1) thick handle as opposed to the thin ones. Some of the old uke peg tuners are rusty and hard to turn. 2) Has both philips and slotted heads. The older ukes usually have slotted screws.
Details:

Kobalt
8-in-1 Multi Bit Screwdriver
heavy duty aluminum handle for durable uses
4pc dual-head CRV steel bits including 8 sizes for multiple uses
bits stored in handle for convenient uses
exceeds ANSI specifications
Handle Type: aluminum with rubber
Length (Inches): 5.3
Ratcheting: No
Number of Pieces (Pieces): 1
Tips Included: Yes
Case Included: No
Drive Type: Slotted, Phillips
Drive Size: 4.5
Handle Length (Inches): 3.5

Available at Lowes

Yeah - I keep a small pocket screwdriver in a case with friction heads. You need to with those things; always slipping. Personally I don't like them and would put Crazy Glue on them, were it not for the need to change strings now and then...​

I don't understand what that tool will do to improve a friction tuner.

BTW, none of my ukes will ever have friction tuners, they are such pain in the ass. The best replacements are Pegheds.

I've had this same screwdriver set for a couple years used mainly for gunsmithing especially when adjusting the metallic sights. ;)

BTW, none of my ukes will ever have friction tuners, they are such pain in the ass. The best replacements are Pegheds.

Then you don't have to worry about it. Good for you!!

I used to have the same aversion to friction tuners, but now, I think they are a must for light weight sopranos. I think peghead would even be too heavy for them, although I have not tried them...

Thanks for the good idea Uki!

I used to have the same aversion to friction tuners, but now, I think they are a must for light weight sopranos. I think peghead would even be too heavy for them, although I have not tried them...

Thanks for the good idea Uki!

Thanks. Also, some of my sopranos with geared machine tuners - the tuners get in the way of my left hand when chording G7 or Gdim. No problem with the pegs.

I love Kobalt tools! Only problem is, the Lowes around here is 20 miles away. I know that's not bad for the mainland, but it's faaaaaar for Hawaiians. There's a Home Depot right down the street, so I buy most of my common hand tools there. The selection is okay at best, but can't beat the 5 minute drive. Even then, I put off going unless I really need to.

I love Kobalt tools! Only problem is, the Lowes around here is 20 miles away. I know that's not bad for the mainland, but it's faaaaaar for Hawaiians. There's a Home Depot right down the street, so I buy most of my common hand tools there. The selection is okay at best, but can't beat the 5 minute drive. Even then, I put off going unless I really need to.

Home Depot has a Husky brand screwdriver that is basically the exact same thing Alan showed from Lowe's. I have the Home Depot version and love it - I use it for working on electronics mainly, but have also used it on little screws on rifles and indeed to adjust friction tuners on a sopranino I used to have...now if I could just keep track of the dumb little thing...

Here's an even better tool for ukes with peg friction tuners:

post-900sledge.jpg

Just kidding.

Top Bottom