Best Acoustic guitar under $250?

LindsayOfSaturn

Reaction score
Rohnert Park, CA. The sleepiest little suburban to
I'm looking to purchase a new guitar, my current one is fine except I cannot use the first fret because the action is so high. I currently have to use a capo on the first fret for every song. Which is quite annoying, plus it gives me an excuse to purchase a new guitar. My dream is a taylor guitar someday but for now I have 250 to spend.

I am looking to spend no more than 250 dollars, preferably including a case/gig bag and shipping.

Here are some other requirements:

The guitar can be an acoustic/electric as well.

I prefer cutaway guitars as far as aesthetics go, but it isnt essential.

I need something with nice low action, so that I can finally use the first fret!

I'm looking at this guitar...what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WASHBURN-D1...temZ310151353475QQptZGuitarQQsalenotsupported

Kona also makes guitars in my range, but I dont know too much about them. The only oher guitar I have had the chance to try is the Jasmine by Takamine S34C NEX Cutaway Acoustic Guitar and it was absolutely awful, worse than my guitar. So I;d really appreiate any help you guys can give me. As a soon to be poor college student this is probably the last chance I will have to buy a guitar in a good long time. So help me spend my money well.

See if you can track down an Art & Lutherie dealer in your area. They are fabulous guitars, made in Canada by LaSiDo music (who also make Simon & Patrick, Seagull, Godin, etc.). My son has an A&L cedar/cherry dreadnought (solid top!) that rings like a bell. Seriously. I never thought I'd hear an acoustic guitar in the $250 range sound that good.

gtrcedarantbst.jpg

A&L's Ami parlor-size guitar is very highly thought of by those who have one. Think of it as an oversized 6-string bari.
gtramisprburg.jpg

Last edited:
The best acoustic guitar for under $250? A used one. Check your local classifieds and craigslist.com.

You can also have the action lowered on your current guitar (or sand down the nut yourself if you're up for it) and put the rest of the $250 aside for that Taylor!

Last edited:
The best acoustic guitar for under $250? A used one. Check your local classifieds and craigslist.com.

You can also have the action lowered on your current guitar (or sand down the nut yourself if you're up for it) and put the rest of the $250 aside for that Taylor!

I;m kind of afraid to mess with the guitar in fear that I will ruin it. But the guitar I own currently was 35$ so any work I have done to it will probably almost be not worth it. My guitar is nice, but I'm not gonna spend more on the guitar then I bought it for. Ideally I;ll keep that guitar as a beat-up instrument that I can take anywhere, and purchase another guitar.

What guitars would you reccomend to look for used?

I'm looking to purchase a new guitar, my current one is fine except I cannot use the first fret because the action is so high. I currently have to use a capo on the first fret for every song. Which is quite annoying, plus it gives me an excuse to purchase a new guitar. My dream is a taylor guitar someday but for now I have 250 to spend.

I am looking to spend no more than 250 dollars, preferably including a case/gig bag and shipping.

Here are some other requirements:

The guitar can be an acoustic/electric as well.

I prefer cutaway guitars as far as aesthetics go, but it isnt essential.

I need something with nice low action, so that I can finally use the first fret!

I'm looking at this guitar...what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WASHBURN-D1...temZ310151353475QQptZGuitarQQsalenotsupported

Kona also makes guitars in my range, but I dont know too much about them. The only oher guitar I have had the chance to try is the Jasmine by Takamine S34C NEX Cutaway Acoustic Guitar and it was absolutely awful, worse than my guitar. So I;d really appreiate any help you guys can give me. As a soon to be poor college student this is probably the last chance I will have to buy a guitar in a good long time. So help me spend my money well.

Yamaha FG series...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274#new

They also have an acoustic-electic version. This is the best guitar in the price range.

I;m kind of afraid to mess with the guitar in fear that I will ruin it.
Sanding down a nut is pretty easy, but I understand your hesitation.

What guitars would you reccomend to look for used?
That's a difficult question, since the number of brands and models that become available at that price once you go to the used market increases signficantly. Your best bet is to go through the following steps:

1. Jot down the brand and model of several different guitars that are available for $250 on eBay (looked at completed listings and BIN listings) and in your local craigslist.

2. Check what these guitars go/went for new (retail, not list).

3. Google online to find out what the best guitars are for this price (the price they went for new). Make a list of these guitars.

4. Go back to eBay and craigslist to see if any of these guitars are available.

5. If you find one on eBay, make sure you check the seller's rating and feedback and contact him/her in advance with any questions. If you're buying from craigslist take a friend with you who is a good guitar player (if you're not) and can evaluate the guitar properly.

FWIW, I've bought quite a few guitars (and ukuleles) on eBay without any problems and as a result am playing much better instruments than I would be if I had bought them new.

Having a professional setup done on your current guitar is another option. Typically, $60 to $80 is what you can expect to pay for a good setup.

You can get some good feedback at Harmony Central's Acoustic Guitar Forum. In fact, the people there include a lot of working musicians and even a few big-timers. I've played guitar for over forty years and there are a few guys like me on that forum.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/index.php

If you click on the acoustic guitar forum, that is where you want to be. For the most part, they are a pretty good bunch. Stackabones is a regular there. You'll see me there under the name "Masterbuilt" (Gibson acoustics are sold under that name). The Masterbilt line (sp change) is the Epiphone solid-wood guitars (and uke). My avatar on that forum is a Masterbilt DR500mens. I also play Martin and Ibanez (PF). I have a Washburn Rover travel guitar, too.

I saw the Kala guitars at Hawaii music supply last January. For 199 I was ready to take one home as they were quite nice, especially for the price.

Also I went to our local music store (indie) and told them I was starting lessons and this was my budget until I figured out what I liked. They do setup on all their instruments, and betwen new and gently used (mine was a cedar top crafter bought used without ANY evidence of wear from another student for 175$)

Good luck

This is a killer deal and it comes with a hardshell case and free shipping.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-F1HC-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513384#new

Have you tried smaller body gits? These are great, especially for uke players (and folks like me who are just tired of the big ole dreads). The bodies are smaller, but the nuts are still standard sized and the necks are still the same size (though they can have a 25.4" scale or 24.9" scale -- I prefer the shorter scale). The Ibanez AC30NT is a sweet small body (000-size). I saw one at GC for $237. It's a very nice looking guitar in person, it plays like a dream, and it sounds wonderful.

If you click on the acoustic guitar forum, that is where you want to be. For the most part, they are a pretty good bunch. Stackabones is a regular there.

:rock:

Last edited:
This is a killer deal and it comes with a hardshell case and free shipping.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-F1HC-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513384#new

Have you tried smaller body gits? These are great, especially for uke players (and folks like me who are just tired of the big ole dreads). The bodies are smaller, but the nuts are still standard sized and the necks are still the same size (though they can have a 25.4" scale or 24.9" scale -- I prefer the shorter scale). The http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-AC30NT-ARTWOOD-SERIES-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=512301#new is a sweet small body (000-size). I saw one at GC for $237. It's a very nice looking guitar in person, it plays like a dream, and it sounds wonderful.

:rock:

I fixed the link. It was pointing to the Yamaha... a great guitar.

I like that Ibanez and if it had the electronics, I would have bought it instead of the PF.

Top Bottom