PDA

View Full Version : UAS Temptation

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Get behind me Fluke!
I was just offered a Fluke with factory pickup and gig bag in excellent condition for $100. Should I give in to the dark side? Is this a decent deal? :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/fluke2.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/fluke1.jpg

Link
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
That's an insane deal. Jump, now! I've been looking for a deal like that for a Fluke, my Flea is such an awesome instrument.

DeG
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me, go for it!!

russ_buss
06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
hell yes! that's a sweet price!

danged
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Eh what you waiting fo? buy'em!

UkuleleHill
06-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Get behind me Fluke!
I was just offered a Fluke with factory pickup and gig bag in excellent condition for $100. Should I give in to the dark side? Is this a decent deal? :confused:

You are asking us?!? Come on! It should be yours already! :D

cocohonk
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
If it were a Flea, I'd be all over that.

So, yes. I think you should give in. GET IT!

But, that's probably my own UAS talking. I really would LOVE to get a Flea soprano right now, but they're out of my price range when I include the shipping.

haole
06-25-2009, 05:30 PM
A Fluke with a pickup is well over $200 new. Go for it!

nikolo727
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
do it before i do. I just got 100 dollars for baby sitting for 2 days with a total of seven hours each day.

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm meeting the seller tomorrow with cold hard cash, you guys are enablers! :D
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yXm1i-tq5tg/SMB569GDSbI/AAAAAAAAAFA/StoRzMjdis0/s1600/ukulele.jpg

UkeNinja
06-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Now wait a minute and rethink what you are doing here.

Just be cool, and follow the three-step process.
1. PM me about where the seller is, preferably tel / email included. I will find out for you if the uke does not have any blemishes that make it unplayable. You would overlook them in your state of arousal.
2. Take a zen course and try to forget all about the Flea. I will help you remember after checking the seller's credibility, criminal record, and other important vitals, such as the willingness to actually burden you with a potentially dangerous instrument.
3. When all that is over, let's revive this thread in a week from now and see how it went.

See? Easy, painless and all thanks to the great community that is Ukulele Underground. Now take a deep breath... easy.... eeeasyyyy.... mellow... melllloooowwww..... there.

edit: dang, too late.

nikolo727
06-25-2009, 05:43 PM
ahhh UAS. there is no cure......

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Now wait a minute and rethink what you are doing here.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/image.php?u=1634&dateline=1243697668
Wait a minute, what's that behind your back? :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Bender
06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Does that Fluke have a sister?

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 06:16 PM
PS. I'm justifying this as an investment to my wife. :D

Lori
06-25-2009, 06:37 PM
PS. I'm justifying this as an investment to my wife. :D
If you need justification, you can try the "good for my health" angle. I think that playing music is a great stress reliever. And stress is one of the worst enemies to our good health. Ukes cost much less than doctors visits, prescriptions, and hospital stays. And the UAS part is helpful in keeping the mind active in positive pursuits.

–Lori

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 06:40 PM
If you need justification, you can try the "good for my health" angle. I think that playing music is a great stress reliever. And stress is one of the worst enemies to our good health. Ukes cost much less than doctors visits, prescriptions, and hospital stays. And the UAS part is helpful in keeping the mind active in positive pursuits.

–Lori

That argument worked at 'ukulele number 2, I'm on number 14 presently (I think) which should make me the healthiest man in Hawai'i. :D

GreyPoupon
06-25-2009, 06:45 PM
When taking inventory of your uke count and assessing the extent of your UAS, a flea or a fluke doesn't really count. Getting a fluke is not a frivolous add on to your collection, it's really a necessity.

It's the one uke that will stand there outside of a case just waiting to be grabbed when you only have one minute free between two chores. It's the one uke you can just toss int he car, not fear it will be knocked by the kids or the dog... basically it serves a very important and special function - so don't even blink. Owning one is just part of the path.

ukebrudder
06-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Excellent find, congratulations! I have always wanted to get my hands on a fluke and for a deal like that I would have jumped the second I saw it. Pickup and gig bag? I would have jumped for the same price w/o those things!

UkuleleHill
06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm meeting the seller tomorrow with cold hard cash, you guys are enablers! :D
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yXm1i-tq5tg/SMB569GDSbI/AAAAAAAAAFA/StoRzMjdis0/s1600/ukulele.jpg

You know it! Grats on the new uke :)

bbycrts
06-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Get behind me Fluke!

Go
Go
Go
Go
Go
Go
Go
Go
!
!

It's even kinda sorta pineapple shaped, if you look at it kind of cockeyed...

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 07:56 PM
When taking inventory of your uke count and assessing the extent of your UAS, a flea or a fluke doesn't really count. Getting a fluke is not a frivolous add on to your collection, it's really a necessity.

It's the one uke that will stand there outside of a case just waiting to be grabbed when you only have one minute free between two chores. It's the one uke you can just toss int he car, not fear it will be knocked by the kids or the dog... basically it serves a very important and special function - so don't even blink. Owning one is just part of the path.

Good point, I need a truck/boat 'ukulele I can take fishing and camping! :shaka:

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Go

It's even kinda sorta pineapple shaped, if you look at it kind of cockeyed...

I was really holding out for the more pineapple shaped Flea but I can't let this deal pass me by, if worse comes to worse I can sell and at least break even. ;)

Ahnko Honu
06-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Does that Fluke have a sister?

Nah, all he had were saxophones.

Spooner
06-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Get behind me Fluke!

Why are you even asking? lol

I'm surprised at you! :p

That's a STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spooner
06-25-2009, 09:15 PM

I use my Kala as the "keep out" although I put her back in the case when not using for more than an hour or so. I definitely wouldn't stick her in the car like that.

I have been considering a Fluke for such purposes for the last month..but am afraid she'll get the same treatment as my others...carefully guarded and protected. I need a Marlboro Cigarette Box uke I think. :p

Ahnko Honu
06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
GUESS WHAT I HAVE IN MY HAND. IF YOU GUESSED A NEW 2me FLUKE YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. And you thought only whales had flukes but now so does this honu. :D I know, I know, didn't happen unless I have pictures, they're coming, just gotta wait for wife to go somewhere so I can bust out all my recent acquisitions out for a group photo shoot. :D

CoffeeMate
06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
GUESS WHAT I HAVE IN MY HAND. IF YOU GUESSED A NEW 2me FLUKE YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. And you thought only whales had flukes but now so does this honu. :D I know, I know, didn't happen unless I have pictures, they're coming, just gotta wait for wife to go somewhere so I can bust out all my recent acquisitions out for a group photo shoot. :D

Yea! Congrats! How many recent acquisitions are you hiding from your wife?? :rofl:

danged
06-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Maika'i Brah, put one nice Pineapple sticker on'um! den you ready to go. :shaka:

Pippin
06-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Very Clever.
:cool:

Ahnko Honu
06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Maika'i Brah, put one nice Pineapple sticker on'um! den you ready to go. :shaka:

This Fluke going be my fishing 'ukulele to take on my boat, and beach. I get some honu decals fo' personalize um. I take pic after I pau. ;)

danged
06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Here's my Fluke, can take'um any kine place...no worries :shaka:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=402&pictureid=2344

pithaya9
06-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Can't wait to see the group picture.

Ahnko Honu
06-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Here's my Fluke, can take'um any kine place...no worries :shaka:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=402&pictureid=2344

HO da awesome! Whea you got da graphics?

cocohonk
06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, nice! Now, aren't you glad you got it?

danged
06-26-2009, 07:05 PM
HO da awesome! Whea you got da graphics?

Whea you tink? Aloha stadium swap meet, used 2 different stickas. Everyone tink it came lie-dat!

DeG
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Whea you tink? Aloha stadium swap meet, used 2 different stickas. Everyone tink it came lie-dat!

Love that swap meet... That used to be the only place I shopped :-)
They look great on that Fluke! Where's honu's pics, the wife not gone yet ?
:D

Ahnko Honu
06-26-2009, 09:13 PM

Az whea I got my honu stikaz too! I wuz tinking whea in califrisco get dat kine stikaz. Da buggah fit perfek.

Ahnko Honu
06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow, nice! Now, aren't you glad you got it?

I am VERY glad I got it, thank you. ;)
I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a Lava Flea for you. :shaka:

Ahnko Honu
06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Love that swap meet... That used to be the only place I shopped :-)
They look great on that Fluke! Where's honu's pics, the wife not gone yet ?
:D

Nope, had to take her and in(out)-laws out to dinner. :rolleyes:

Ahnko Honu
06-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Meet Honulani (heavenly turtle). I added red honu decal bling but waiting for my concert Kala red strings. Presently has the original 9 year old Hilo strings but the seller who is the original owner didn't play much so the Hilos sound surprising good for their age. Haven't tried her plugged in yet but she sounds sweeter than I expected.
I'm a happy camper and fisherman. :shaka:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010201.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010204.jpg

Link
06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
That's it, I am getting stickers for my Flea. That is just too kickass!

danged
06-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Meet Honulani (heavenly turtle). I added red honu decal bling but waiting for my concert Kala red strings. Presently has the original 9 year old Hilo strings but the seller who is the original owner didn't play much so the Hilos sound surprising good for their age. Haven't tried her plugged in yet but she sounds sweeter than I expected.
I'm a happy camper and fisherman. :shaka:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010204.jpg

Shootz Brah, "Da Buggah is HOT!"

Ahnko Honu
06-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Shootz Brah, "Da Buggah is HOT!"

Eh, yo' Fluke bridge get separate saddle? Mine no mo', stay one piece. :confused:
Mus be cuz da ting 9 years old?

danged
06-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Eh, yo' Fluke bridge get separate saddle? Mine no mo', stay one piece. :confused:
Mus be cuz da ting 9 years old?

Ai Kala Mai! :eek: Brah what you when start? I jus check em' and the bugga is one piece too. My fluke is 5 yrs old. It's da kine plastic all the way, get no nut and no saddle :confused:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=402&pictureid=2345

Ahnko Honu
06-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Ah, I guess main ting she sound nice. One mo' watah proof paht I no need worry about fo' wen I take um out on my canoe I guess. :rolleyes:

seeso
06-28-2009, 01:36 AM
That looks great!

Pippin
06-28-2009, 04:37 AM
I love the decals.

DeG
06-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Lookin' good!

danged
06-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Ah, I guess main ting she sound nice. One mo' watah proof paht I no need worry about fo' wen I take um out on my canoe I guess. :rolleyes:

An can use'um fo paddle :rotfl:

Ahnko Honu
06-28-2009, 10:38 AM
An can use'um fo paddle :rotfl:

Can keep da live 'opae inside fo' bait too. ;)

Ahnko Honu
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Aloha, finally got my KALA Red strings and strung them up. I like the look which goes well with the red honus but I especially like the way they sound, soft and mellow almost harp like, great complement to "Honulani". :love:
I will get some red tuner pegs as finances allow.
What I thought was a plastic bridge is actually a black stained hardwood, this Fluke must be an oldie. I'm debating whether I should try and cut a groove into the bridge for a bone saddle or not. :rolleyes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010205.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/My%20Ukuleles/P1010208.jpg

seeso
07-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Lookin' sharp, Honu! :shaka:

Link
07-03-2009, 09:55 AM
That is probably the best looking Fluke I've ever seen. The Kala Reds really set it off.

RevWill
07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
That is really nice looking. I love the honu stickers and the Kala reds on that Fluke.

My Fluke has the two-piece bridge because I ordered it with a Fishman. I think most models come with the one-piece.

Ahnko Honu
07-03-2009, 11:36 AM
That is really nice looking. I love the honu stickers and the Kala reds on that Fluke.

I think most models come with the one-piece.

All the Flukes with plastic fret boards that I've ever seen until now had one piece plastic bridge of a stepped design whereas mine is a wood stretched pyramid in shape. I'm guessing this was the original design before going to plastic bridges. Any Fluke historians out there? :)

Ahnko Honu
07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
MAHALO EVERYONE for all the positive comments. I tried her out last night plugged into my Danelectro Honeytone amp and had a blast, fun on a budget! :shaka: I haven't picked up any of my Koa 'ukuleles since I got my Fluke, what a sacrilege. :D

RevWill
07-03-2009, 12:03 PM
They are addictive little ukes!

pithaya9
07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Those red strings really go good with the red honu stickers. Got to be one of the best looking Flukes out there.

Ahnko Honu
07-03-2009, 12:43 PM
MAHALO peoples! :shaka:
$2.99 for the decals, and $6.99 for the KALA Reds, good investment.

Ahnko Honu
07-03-2009, 02:49 PM
ARGH, Just when I get my new FLUKE all spiffied up it gets STOLEN...
by my wife! She picked it up and I plugged in the amp, that was 2 houirs ago and she has not put it down since. :D
She's says it's her new favorite 'ukulele now.

mailman
07-03-2009, 02:59 PM
ARGH, Just when I get my new FLUKE all spiffied up it gets STOLEN...
by my wife! She picked it up and I plugged in the amp, that was 2 houirs ago and she has not put it down since. :D
She's says it's her new favorite 'ukulele now.

Then I'm sure she'll understand when you buy yourself a BRAND NEW ONE to replace it! :D

Certainly she'll feel your pain and know in her heart of hearts that you need your OWN, PERSONAL FLUKE.... :rotfl:

Pippin
07-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Or get her one and add her favorite decals. :cool: