Best looking Uke for under 350

papplehead

Reaction score
So im looking to buy a new uke, budget is about $350 or so. I have a Kala tenor electric that i really love playing, but its not much of a looker. A concert or tenor size is preferred, but not required. Im just looking to see whats out there without breaking the bank.
Thanks

MusicGuyMics got the same uke listed (328), and its big brother, a Tenor for for 368 (free shipping) but that has a killer youtube vid with sound sample. It sounds awesome and that was one of the ukes i considered recently with the same budget in mind.

I settled on the A/E Pono O'hai its 329 here also free shipping

Another great alternative would be the Kala solid acacia, though i think theres some additional wait time on that.

There are some well-priced all solid koa Keli'i ukes out there that look super nice. Also love the Lanikai mango, Pono tenor, and even the basic Mainland mahogany ukes with the classy rope binding.

It's hard to beat mango for eye candy value. The new spalted mango looks even more stunning than either basic mango and spalted maple (and is, I understand SOLID not a laminate like the spalted maple).

Spalted maple is also attractive, albeit not solid.

But more than just wood appearance is the design. My cigar box uke from Tom Guy stops them dead when I bring it into the store (I practice when there are no customers around and leave it on the counter when they're in the store). Real conversation starter.

The Ohana zebrawood (that's ZEH-bra wood, folks... :cool:) is also fabulous, ducky, but it's only soprano. That's a shame because it's very attractive, but the scale is just not my cup of tea. It'll probably go on the block this summer so I can buy another tenor.

I would get a KALA uke...

IMHO I would think more of how it will sound rather than how it looks, of course you want it to look nice but you may regret it later, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you'll grow to find it more attractive if it sounds lovely

Mainland

I have seen the mainland ukes and they do look nice.

Thanks for the suggestions, they were all great. I think im gonna go for the mango. The pattern of the wood is just nice. Also, Im a sucker for inlays. Thanks

Make that two votes for Mainland Mahogany. You'll have enough money left for a good case.

Top Bottom