You pick my new uke PART 2

FalconSpork

Reaction score
So I've decided to get a concert uke, try that out. I figure I'll buy for MGM since every seems to love him.

Only problem is, my price range has unfortunately grown smaller, due to my college tuition going up and car repairs after a recent accident. That being said, my price range is now $69-$130 including shipping.

I know there's not a huge selection at that price, but I'd like a better uke to take to college with me then my Hilo. So unless some very kind people would like to help, but I'm not begging, that's the deal.

Thanks for the help thus far guys!

So I've decided to get a concert uke, try that out. I figure I'll buy for MGM since every seems to love him.

Only problem is, my price range has unfortunately grown smaller, due to my college tuition going up and car repairs after a recent accident. That being said, my price range is now $69-$130 including shipping.

I know there's not a huge selection at that price, but I'd like a better uke to take to college with me then my Hilo. So unless some very kind people would like to help, but I'm not begging, that's the deal.

Thanks for the help thus far guys!

There are some ukes in that price range. The Lanikai LU-21C is a decent uke and can be bought for $80 + shipping:

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lanikai-LU21C-Concert-Ukulele?sku=512521

MGM also has a few good deals, including a Kala Mahogany concert which comes with an MGM setup and a case for $120:

link to ebay

If those don't work out then the best plan is to save up and wait for a new uke. I did that and although it takes a while it is worth it!

Good lucl.

Take the KALA over the Lanikai. People will try to say that they are the same- they are not. Lanikai products are nice but KALA gives you that little extra attention to detail, and a more solid feeling instrument. I own both by the way- the Lanikai sounds great but it is nato instead of mahogany, the action needed to be adjusted, it just doesn't make me feel like I am playing a truly quality instrument. The KALA on the other hand, from the first time I held it, just wanted to be played, sounds great, and required no adjusting.

Take the KALA over the Lanikai. People will try to say that they are the same- they are not. Lanikai products are nice but KALA gives you that little extra attention to detail, and a more solid feeling instrument. I own both by the way- the Lanikai sounds great but it is nato instead of mahogany, the action needed to be adjusted, it just doesn't make me feel like I am playing a truly quality instrument. The KALA on the other hand, from the first time I held it, just wanted to be played, sounds great, and required no adjusting.

I was leaning more towards the Kala, my mom has a Lanikai, and not only has the neck separated itself from the body, it never stays in tune anymore. Doesn't bug her cause she can tune by ear, but it drives me up the wall. Lol

I was leaning more towards the Kala, my mom has a Lanikai, and not only has the neck separated itself from the body, it never stays in tune anymore. Doesn't bug her cause she can tune by ear, but it drives me up the wall. Lol

Sorry about such bad experiences with the Lanikais! I have two and haven't had any such problem with mine; they always stay in tune and are built well! As I said if you really want a quality instrument save up and get a K brand uke or something similar.

You can't go wrong with a purchase from MGM. Great service and very helpful.

MGM also has a few good deals, including a Kala Mahogany concert which comes with an MGM setup and a case for $120:

link to ebay

If those don't work out then the best plan is to save up and wait for a new uke. I did that and although it takes a while it is worth it!

Good lucl.

I think this is the very best option in your price range.

>>>> Lanikai products are nice but KALA gives you that little extra attention to detail, and a more solid feeling instrument. <<<

I concur. I was able to compare to similar tenor ukes and the above statement is spot-on. I liked the Lanikai, but the Kala was "finished" more.

Hard to beat a KALA for value, and the spruce top KA-SC is in my opinion the best bang for the buck concert 'ukulele build quality and sound wise. I don't see MGM listing one presently but it doesn't mean he doesn't have one in inventory so shoot him an email. In the meantime this seller does stock them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KALA-MODEL-...0?hash=item3352cb5c73&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
7515978.jpg

Top Bottom