Ugh, just realized that I hate TV lately...

HaileISela

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The whole thing about the dead of MJ (may he rest in peace) just made me realize how much I hate the style of media coverage. No matter if it's about another killing spree committed on a school or about the death of a person or whatever, it's just without any type of restraint and respect against the people involved. It's all about the life of celebrities, the newest promises of politics, the new trends, new ways to spend your money on trash.

and the moment someone calculated the future costs of climate change, that became topic. before that, people who cared about that were marked as freaks.

I don't know, I think I sort of hate the small minded character of all this rubbish.

duh. this was important for me to state right now.

btw: the more I hate TV, the more I love the www for being a place where you can get the information you want just the way you want it (most of the time...) if you know how to...

"When television is good, nothing—not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers—nothing is better.

"But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, [...] I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

"You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials—many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom.

"True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it."

That's from a speech given by then-FCC-chairman Newton N. Minow, almost 50 years ago.

Not much has changed, has it?

JJ

"When television is good, nothing—not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers—nothing is better.

"But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there, for a day, [...] I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.

"You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials—many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom.

"True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it."

That's from a speech given by then-FCC-chairman Newton N. Minow, almost 50 years ago.

Not much has changed, has it?

JJ

If something changed, then not for the better. but I think there's still a little bit of difference between German and US American TV... but we're good in catching up!

My TV is only used to play DVDs and the occasional video game.... Other than that the only time it gets turned on is when my son comes to visit, and he isnt much for TV either.

I watch old programs on HULU or netflix... Also check out youtube shows... they are getting alot of pretty good stuff there as well.

Man, you guys are really disciplined. I'm so addicted to reality TV. Every year I say I'm going to stop watching Big Brother, and next week the new season starts and I'm already getting excited about it. :mad:

I also watch Survivor, Hell's Kitchen, Dancing With The Stars... :eek:

I did stop watching American Idol years ago, so maybe there's hope.

Man, you guys are really disciplined. I'm so addicted to reality TV. Every year I say I'm going to stop watching Big Brother, and next week the new season starts and I'm already getting excited about it. :mad:

You just gotta quit cold turkey! Once you miss that next episode, the ones after that get easier and easier.

Trust me. I finally quit watching "Heroes" after it jumped the shark, and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

:p

JJ

I use to be a huge TV watcher, but not anymore. There are only a handful of shows I watch now (Daily Show, Colbert Report, ICarly, UFO Hunters, Expedition Africa), and most of those I can see on the Web. Netflix keeps me entertained when I'm bored.

Top Bottom