Downloading Youtube vids in useable format?

dnt.thnk.twce

Reaction score
Mac users - Youtube to iTunes conversion?

Tried the search but couldn't come up with much. I really would like to convert some of the great Youtube uke videos to itunes so that I can listen to them - for practice, playing along, while working, etc.

Anyone recommend a good software?

Zamfar looks interesting but I don't like the idea of giving them my email address. I use KEEPVID to download the videos and VisualHub to convert. VisualHub is no longer available so Handbrake is your next best bet...it's free and available for Mac and PC (and will also convert most DVDs).

my understanding was that Youtube offered mp4 formats. MP4 work on Ipods and Itunes don't they? Or are you trying to strip the audio from the files and save them as mp3s?

I know you can record the "audio output" on a PC, because I own one. If you can do the same on a mac, then you should be able to record the digital output (i.e., sound) and save that as an mp3 on some mac software it comes with. Ilive or something like that? maybe.

But mp4s should work on ipods.

my understanding was that Youtube offered mp4 formats. MP4 work on Ipods and Itunes don't they?
Good point...I never noticed that the high quality versions are MP4. If that's available then KEEPVID is all you need. If for some reason only the FLV version is available then HandBrake will do the MP4 conversion.

I use the MyTube widget for my Mac. It works well for me.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

I could be wrong, but looking around YouTube, the only MP4 option for your downloading your own videos. I guess it makes sense that they don't support you downloading just anyone's files. However, I really just want to download the audio for some of the great uke songs from fellow UU'ers as I can't always pull up the YouTube video to listen!

I already use Handbrake for dvd - not sure how it soul apply here when the source is streaming video from the net. Have to look into it...

Downloading MyTube as we speak - looks promising, free and easy to use!! I'll let you know how it goes...

Last edited:
I use the MyTube widget for my Mac. It works well for me.

Great option - easy & quick!! Video seems slightly out of sync with audio, but it is really the audio I am interested in anyway. I'll try a few more with the free exports before deciding to donate for continued use.

Now to figure out how to convert the audio from the mp4 to an acc file...

I'll tell you how I go about doing it.

• I download the video with either keepvid or "get youtube video."

• I open the video in Quicktime Pro, and export the audio to an AIFF file.

• I import that AIFF file into iTunes, then convert it to either aac or mp3 in iTunes.

If I just want the audio, or if the audio I want isn't on YouTube, I'll use something like Audio Hijack Pro and grab it from somewhere else.

I'll tell you how I go about doing it.

• I download the video with either keepvid or "get youtube video."

• I open the video in Quicktime Pro, and export the audio to an AIFF file.

• I import that AIFF file into iTunes, then convert it to either aac or mp3 in iTunes.

If I just want the audio, or if the audio I want isn't on YouTube, I'll use something like Audio Hijack Pro and grab it from somewhere else.

Thanks, Seeso.

keepvid won't let me save the button in my bookmarks but Get YouTube Video works great. I don't have Quicktime Pro - but maybe I need to upgrade. How is the built-in MacBook iSight camera & mic with Quicktime for creating uke videos?

Looks like I have lots to play with - and learn!!

Thanks!

The second method doesn't appear to work for me - webpage does not mention Safari - maybe not supported...

Vixy might be a good option.

Good point. I just tested in Safari and it's a no go. Camino is fine, as are other browsers that run on Mac (firefox, or my personal fav Opera)

I use Firefox, well, Flock but it's derived from Firefox. You can get the "DownloadHelper" add-on and you'll see the little button spinning around. Once you click it, you have a couple options as to what version of the video it is you want to download. If you want an MP4, I think you have to choose the one that has [HQ##], where ## is usually 18 or 35, preceding whatever the filename is.

I use Firefox, well, Flock but it's derived from Firefox. You can get the "DownloadHelper" add-on and you'll see the little button spinning around. Once you click it, you have a couple options as to what version of the video it is you want to download. If you want an MP4, I think you have to choose the one that has [HQ##], where ## is usually 18 or 35, preceding whatever the filename is.

Another good option, but I just use Safari. I used Firefox on my PC - and still do on the ancient desktop that functions as a part-time server but gets little love. Since getting the MacBook last year I just haven't seen a need to switch browsers...

Top Bottom