Who is a lefty player

Hankthetank

Reaction score
I was just curious how many of you are left handed uke players? What I mean is, how many of you play left handed? I know there have been threads and discussions about playing left handed and there are people who are lefty that learned to play righty, but I wanted to find the true lefties out there.
Maybe we should start a group:shaka:
Please tell me I am not alone :)

I'm left handed, pretty much do everything lefthanded (even the computer mouse), but i play the uke/bass guitar right handed :)

I'm with you Hankthetank!
I only play my ukuleles left handed; in fact, MGM just sent me a beautiful new ukulele and set it up for me left handed and i can't put it down!:music:

are the strings just swapped on a lefty uke.. like A goes to where G is and so on? and the cutaway, if there is one, is on the other side?

BoomBoom, I am glad to know I am not alone!
I have a Bushman Jenny Tenor that is a right handed cutaway, but is strung up for a lefty, so the strings are upside down. It also has a pickup that is set up for lefty so the battery compartment would be upside down for a right handed player-if that all makes sense. The first picture is of me and my Bushman-see how it looks upside down when I hold it. The price I paid was too good to pass up though.

But I have rectified that situation. I am on my way to the post office to pick up my new left handed Moore Bettah Ukulele. She is in the second pic-so the cutaway will be on the bottom for me and won't look upside down.

I do everything left handed-write, throw, bat, play the uke. I tried holding the uke righty in the beginning but it just didn't feel right. So, why deny my true self. I gotta go pick up my new baby now.

Any other lefties out there?

Attachments

• lefty.jpg
    lefty.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 12
  • uke1.jpg
    uke1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 13
That Moore Bettah uke is amazing!
Both of my ukes are symmetrically shaped, so once i flip the strings it just looks like your average ukulele.

it was funny cuz i was just thinking about this. my buddy knows a guy that plays guitar really well. he plays right handed and then switches the uke over to lefty and can play back and forth. its pretty impressive. for those of you who are left handed but play uke right handed try that. it would be so sweet. haha

Playing bass-ackwards

On the lefty-righty thing I'm right handed but I was messing around last night, trying to play left handed without changing strings. Obviously if you don't transpose the chords in your head (C is third fret bottom string) things sound a little weird...could make for an interesting contest!

Anyway, I have a buddy who is right handed but forced himself to use his computer mouse with his left hand. Every now and then he'll switch back to his right hand. He swears it's good exercise for his brain.

I'm a lefty. I play drums, guitar and uke lefty, but I recently restrung an old harmony righty so that I'd have something for others to play. I discovered that it's actually very easy to play a reentrant uke the other way. I mean holding it lefty but strung right. At least the simpler stuff which is what I play anyway. Strumming sounds a bit different though.

i know what you mean ambrose, my older sister is a lefty who plays her oscar schmitt righty and i used to always play it and have to flip the chords in my head. At the time it sounded much better than my $25 Mahalo

My brother is a lefty, but plays traditionally. He's actually very ambidextrous. He can beat me in basketball, shooting with either hand. I actually tried to play left handed on many occasions, but it's like starting over. I figured being able to play left handed natively would help me be able to setup left handed instruments better. Unfortunately, I can't do it, so I just rely on my right handed feel.

I bought my five year old a starter uke. My wife and I are both lefty but both of my children are righties (where did I go wrong :) ). I have tried to pick up my son's uke and play it righty but just as in KoAlohaPaul's experience, it feels like I am starting all over again. It just feels too foreign for me.
But I say, play how it feels comfortable to you. For me, it is lefty:shaka:

lefty

Im a lefty. Got a nice lefty Martin HD-28 guitar. I have a Lanikai uku that was right handed but I flipped the strings without any problems.
Im now looking for a soprano uku and its great that I can buy the uku Im looking at at the shops.
Dan

i do but i cheat

when i tried to learn the guitar years ago, i learned right handed, and if i were to pick it up today and strum the few things i know, i'll still play it right-handed.
when i started to learn the to play the uke almost three years ago, i taught myself left-handed. i can't play the uke right-handed, however, i do play a right-handed uke (meaning i don't restring it for lefty style). i taught myself to play a right-handed uke simply because i didn't want to be extremely limited to not playing other's ukes or testing 'em out at a music store (sad thing is though, i've only played the two ukes i own).
this is one of the reasons i don't chime in on threads about how to hold an e chord on the uke (which i find super easy to hold). there is a lot of threads and what not where my advice to others would be is obsolete. plus i'm still not a great uke player, i am decent though.
as far as the strumming goes, i strum the way that adrine says, if he says down, i strum down, up, i strum up. as long as the ear can distinguish between the ups and downs, i don't think it's entirely noticeable that the sound of my strumming is backwards.

Top Bottom