For those in the know... Aboot quality tone woods

petah

Reaction score
Other then FleaBay and them Err... Dodgy Sellers. Where would one get a nice straight grain piece of Koa for a sound board for a soprano size Uke.

Me. I have some great one piece sets in all grades but I am in the UK. If you are in the US try Noteable Tonewoods or even Winkler in Hilo. I'm also sure that if it is for a single project, a visit to a local luthier may help.

Winkler is a no go $100++
Noteable has quaters only

Pete I was actually looking for a piece to send to Bruko for a special model. I will Continue contact with them But maybe if there's a good European supplier. ?

Umm, Pete is in Europe, no? Okay, an island off Europe, but so is Greece, and Venice.

If you're looking for wood JUST for a SB on a Standard, I'll go on a limb and say "Non-existent". You should be able to find a full set, but probably not a Koa SB. Keep this in mind so you can plan to buy the whole set in your search for a SB.

Now, if you happen upon a builder who has an unmatched SB that he (or she) is willing to part with (as Pete had already mentioned), then you're lucky, and should snatch it up.

Question: For a Standard, why would you look for a Koa SB and not a full set?

( I like Brukos one piece sides on thier ukes I would think it impossible to get a piece of Koa that does it. )

Wouldn't Koa and Mahogany Sound amazing together? :)

EDIT: Front & back Koa and Sides Mahogany? maple neck Ebony fret board??? :D The possibilities! I need to look up some beautiful wood combos.

Last edited:
Hey petah, fill out your profile so we don't have to guess where you are from. Maybe there is someone in your area.
The answer to where he is from is in the tile of the thread "For those in the know... Aboot quality tone woods"
it's obvious Petah is based in the North East of the UK...He's a "Geordie":D

The answer to where he is from is in the tile of the thread "For those in the know... Aboot quality tone woods"
it's obvious Petah is based in the North East of the UK...He's a "Geordie":D

Hmmph... Aboot Is Er more'va real Canadian thing to say EH?

I'm Canadian.

Sorry, Filling out internet profiles is a nono in my line of work. I'm applying for CSIS. But if we do any sort of dealing you can have any info you need :) :shaka:

Or Minnesotan. ;)

small world...

Geordies, Canucks and, Minnesotans sound alike on the internet...

Top Bottom