Where do you keep your ukulele while driving?

specialmike

Reaction score
So I searched the forums... and the word "ukulele" is just used so much that I can't find a thread about this if it's already been posted.

Anyways, I'm going on a trip back home and I want to take my uke with me. It has a case and all that, but where in the car would be the ideal place to put it?

I want it to be sitting up front with me :D but that just seems like a bad idea because I will undoubtedly take it out and play it.
>The back seat, the sun gets to it.
>The trunk... it slides around... but that I can prevent.

You guys/gals? where do you keep your ukes for travel?

I keep mine in passenger floor. Out of the sun and in my sight...

But if you are travelling with others, I suggest buying a baby car seat and strap her in in the middle of the back seat :D - Too much???

yeah dont put it in the trunk. It depends if your alone or not. if your alone, drive with it on the floor in front of the passenger seat. or just keep in on the floor near the back seat. keep the case partially open, and have air conditioning or some kind of air circulation in the car. you dont want the wood glue to melt. then you have a pile of wood mess.

Usually somewhere behind the drivers seat, since I just open the backdoor and throw it in there first. I never use the trunk for anything, because the backseat is just easier unless I have a ton of passengers. And I get used to it, because guitars and amps and other gear fit well back there too, and aren't as convenient to put in the passenger seat area. As for the trunk, I never use it, it's full of other stuff, so there's never room.

hang it from the rear view mirror. on bungie, that way it's ready for playing at stop lights and snaps back when the light turns green.

lol. this deserves a how to video and a preformance of this idea in action while driving.

I drive a Nissan King Cab pickup so keep my 'ukulele behind the passenger seat in a gig bag with room to spare, and easy access.

When I'm texting, I keep it in my lap so that my other hand can drive.

lol

Passenger seat floorboards, no bag, cheap uke. If i'm somewhere that's going to be hot, i put it in the trunk. Maybe it's my car, but my trunk is often 20 degrees or more cooler than inside the car. And if I'm know the car will sit in the hot sun all day, I bury the uke under clothes and stuff in the trunk. Even on 100-degree days where the cab is 120-plus, the uke stays a cool 75. Great trunk, i guess. And the uke, an old German-made Hilo from the '60s, has been sliding around on my floorboards for years and still plays like a champ.

It must be said, however, that wouldn't do any of the above with my really good ukes.

lol

Passenger seat floorboards, no bag, cheap uke. If i'm somewhere that's going to be hot, i put it in the trunk. Maybe it's my car, but my trunk is often 20 degrees or more cooler than inside the car. And if I'm know the car will sit in the hot sun all day, I bury the uke under clothes and stuff in the trunk. Even on 100-degree days where the cab is 120-plus, the uke stays a cool 75. Great trunk, i guess. And the uke, an old German-made Hilo from the '60s, has been sliding around on my floorboards for years and still plays like a champ.

It must be said, however, that wouldn't do any of the above with my really good ukes.

so.. what do you do for your really good ukes then? That would be the info I'm seeking. :)

The smart thing to do to avoid any dangerous situations would be to leave the uke on your lap, out of the case. You know you would most likely be compelled to reach over and undo the case when "I'm Yours" comes on the radio while doing 65 down the thruway. We don't want to hear any horror stories of what happened when you took your eyes off the road for that split second to undo your case.

I agree that the best place would be in your lap, just for the safety issues already mentioned. That said we just took a "longish" trip and I had it placed between the tow front seats over the center console. The case worked great as an arm rest and during traffic jams and bathroom break i had easy access.

On a side nte my son is potty training and so we had to stop at just about everyother gas station. I had plenty of quality time with my baby.

I am tasked with picking up/dropping off kids from middle and high school (we used to call it junior and high). Anyways, the uke sits on the front passenger seat. Then I can get to school early enough to get a decent front-spot and sit to practice a few chords, strums, whatevers until the bells rings and I'm off to pick up the other girlie.

The couple of times I have NOT had a ukulele in the car, I regretted it. Not so much for the practice time, more for the "oh, do you have one with you?" times.

Had one yesterday. Daughter #2 was at a "start of summer" party and I brought a ukulele when I went to pick her up. Spent about an hour showing the host how to strum a couple of chords, sang a song or two, and spread the uke spirit.

Tonight You Belong To Me went over very well. Thanks, Boozelele. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmGuwmMKg_g

Interesting topic.

I've been avoiding taking a uke to work to practice on my breaks/lunch. It gets very hot in my mail truck. Did I mention that it gets VERY hot? I'm sure it gets well up over 100 degrees.

1.) I'd be afraid the uke would be damaged.

2.) Some moron would be sure to call my boss...."Is that all these idiots have to do all day is play ukulele?"

3.) I'm sure I'd lose track of time and go beyond my alloted time, making me late.

Maybe I'd best leave the uke at home....:(

Top Bottom