Good undersaddle pickups?

Ive_Ben_Crazy

Reaction score
I was wondering what some good undersaddle pickups are (round 100 and less? But if there's something really outside that, I wouldn't mind spending more THAT much)... Thanks ahead of time! :D

You can check on some of these manufacturers . . . courtesy of Live 'Ukulele.
  • D-TAR Timbreline - UST, active, power: 2 AA
  • Fishman Matrix Infinity - UST, active, power: 9v, soundhole controls: tone and volume
  • Fishman Prefix Pro (Koaloha artist models) - UST, active, power: 9v, side mounted controls: volume, bass, mid, treble, brilliance, notch, phase switch
  • K&K Sound Big Shot - soundboard transducer, passive
  • K&K Sound Twin Spot Internal - soundboard transducer (2), passive
  • L.R. Baggs Element - UST, active, power: 9v
  • MI-SI Acoustic Trio - UST (LR Baggs Element), active, power: super capacitor (holds 8 hour charge)

Boy I'd really stay away from the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Outside of being super expensive, they are really too heavy and bulky for ukulele. I've done a few of them but I won't install them any more. It's awkward adjusting the controls inside the sound hole and the tone control barely works. Between the the preamp, the battery and the volume, tone and bass control, that's a lot of stuff to crowd in a small sound box. There's hardly any room leftover for the notes to dance around in!
I currently am a big fan of the Mi-Si simple jack with either the the Fishman or Baggs element. Simple and effective.

Oooo yes. Thanks for that. I'm like the biggest dance-while-singing and playing uke person you will ever find. I can't have anything weighing me down! =P

Boy I'd really stay away from the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Outside of being super expensive, they are really too heavy and bulky for ukulele. I've done a few of them but I won't install them any more. It's awkward adjusting the controls inside the sound hole and the tone control barely works. Between the the preamp, the battery and the volume, tone and bass control, that's a lot of stuff to crowd in a small sound box. There's hardly any room leftover for the notes to dance around in!
I currently am a big fan of the Mi-Si simple jack with either the the Fishman or Baggs element. Simple and effective.

Chuck, I'm getting ready to install an undersaddle pickup in one of my main stage ukes. I would like to try your advice with the Mi-Si simple jack. However, I am confused on how to purchase the Mi-Si simple jack along with a Fishman undersaddle piezo for a tenor uke. (I don't care for the Baggs. Got one.) So.... how do I buy them separately? Am I buying the Mi_si Trio? Special order a uke fishman pickup What? Could you clarify and possibly post a link to what and how I should purchase the setup I need?? You da man!...thanks, e.lo...

E-lo, give Bob Gleason at Pegasus Guitar a call and he'll be glad to send one out to you. (http://www.pegasusguitars.com/) He's the only one I know of who sells the combo you mentioned with the ukulele sized Fishman pickup.
What is it you don't like about the Baggs?
BTW, the Mi-Si Trio consists on the preamp and endjack, all in one, and MiSi calls that assembly the "simple jack". I'm guessing that the "trio" part is the UST element which in the case of MiSi is a Baggs element that is already soldered to the preamp board. If you use the Fishman element you'll need to use a LOW wattage soldering iron to do the job.

E-lo, give Bob Gleason at Pegasus Guitar a call and he'll be glad to send one out to you. (http://www.pegasusguitars.com/) He's the only one I know of who sells the combo you mentioned with the ukulele sized Fishman pickup.
What is it you don't like about the Baggs?
BTW, the Mi-Si Trio consists on the preamp and endjack, all in one, and MiSi calls that assembly the "simple jack". I'm guessing that the "trio" part is the UST element which in the case of MiSi is a Baggs element that is already soldered to the preamp board. If you use the Fishman element you'll need to use a LOW wattage soldering iron to do the job.

Thanks Chuck, I'll get right on it...

PS, great batch of ukes you've been crankin' out (shown here on the forum.) You're at the top of your game right now bro! Double Wow!!...e.lo...

Top Bottom