PDA

View Full Version : What inspires you?

Johnny Elsewhere
06-27-2009, 09:54 PM
V-Log #1 - What inspires you? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7W1BElNOY)

This is more of a question, than a V-blog.

What inspires you to write what you write, and the lyrics you write?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

Also, what inspired you guys to start playing ukulele?

Discuss!

Ahnko Honu
06-27-2009, 10:49 PM
My Dad always my inspiration to play 'ukulele ever since I can recall he being an excellent 'ukulele player on his Kamaka pineapple.
I haven't written any songs lately but I have written allot of poetry and my inspiration has always been the love of my life my wife of 28 years. Though lately... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vP1YUkweRA&feature=related

Pippin
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
My Dad always my inspiration to play 'ukulele ever since I can recall he being an excellent 'ukulele player on his Kamaka pineapple.
I haven't written any songs lately but I have written allot of poetry and my inspiration has always been the love of my life my wife of 28 years. Though lately... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vP1YUkweRA&feature=related

Applause!!!

Good Man!

pink flamingo
06-28-2009, 02:42 AM
I try to let the spirit of uncle Jessy and his awesome hair take me over

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e304/ballaseppi23/Stamos_mullet.jpg

hm yeah, right now I'm just settling for not totally sucking as a form of inspiration and honestly the so many talented people on this site. It really opened my eyes as to what is possible on a uke.

ichadwick
06-28-2009, 04:19 AM
I write and play because it's in my blood. I'm not as much inspired as driven by an obsession to write.

I have been writing ever since I can recall. I wrote stories and poems in my early teens. I was the editor of my high school paper. I've worked for newspapers, magazines, book publishers and web sites for the past 40 years - writer, editor, reporter. I've published poems, stories, columns, features, reports, news, opinions, editorials, travelogues, essays, even a book a computer book).

I've never published any songs (I've written a few), and never had a novel published (again, written a couple), but there's still time...

I can't go a week without writing something. I write a regular blog, make posts here and on other forums. I write at work - customers' brochures, flyers, resumes and so on. I continually rewrite my web pages. I can't stop posting here, either. I just have to write. Just look at what I've done with this post! I'm happiest when I can be creative.

For me words have a life of their own, as much a living part of my world as my dog, my cats, the birds outside my window, my wife, my friends. I hate to see them abused or mistreated - bad spelling, poor grammar, abusive punctuation, inept capitalization - as much as I hate to see any animal or child abused. Bad language is to me like someone using a ukulele to hammer nails is to many of you.

Music is different, but also similar. I play because it fulfills a need to make music. I can spend hours noodling on a uke, without actually playing a song all the way through. Just experimenting, trying chord patterns, strummming, picking, making the strings sing out in new or different ways.

It's like writing in one sense - I like to play with words, to work with them, to build sentences and paragraphs, to construct articles and stories like an architect designs a building. I do the same with music; assembling the bits and pieces into something that often resembles a song, more often a meander through tones and rhythms. But I don't do it nearly as well. More passion than talent in my music.

Perhaps some of it is hereditary. Just recently I learned about my father's musical background. While he lived, he never told me about it - I learned from an aunt that my grandmother played ukulele, my grandfather played piano and my father played banjo at family singalongs. Or possibly banjo uke. And my grandfather was a reporter for a newspaper. Writing and music making seem to run in that side of the family!