Tattoos

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
Anybody have any tattoos or plan on getting any?? im getting a silver fern tatoo on my left peck i know that for sure.

Im thinking of getting a ukulele and bob marley or something referring to reggae.

It wont be like on my arm - leg or face or whatever... most likely places where nobody can really see them. I have a few styles going but im not sure!

so... whose got them??

I have the logo of my DJ collective 'Transmission' that I was involved with in my 20s tattooed at the base of my spine. It reminds me of some very happy times in my life and whilst I no longer DJ it still says something about my love for music, I knew when I got it that it would have that enduring meaning for me.

It's quite abstract:
90062005_56a40805dc.jpg

I'm tempted to get something ukulele related but can't see that happening for a while. I'm very wary of getting something that I would later regret.

Last edited:
Loving that tat bugoy! I'm thinking about getting something but still not old enough,but I got 2 years to think out something meaningful. Anyone have any cool ideas for tattoos?

thanks! NukeDoc made the concept and design, but my tattoo artist(who is also the drummer in my band... shameless plug.hehe) made it a masterpiece. you have plenty of time to come up with something. Im trying to think of an idea for a new tattoo also.

Nuke is all your work in black and gray looks nice:cool:

no but all future work will be. the tribal design on my left shoulder is all black, but its covering up an old colored tat. the phoenix on my left forearm is green/red/orange/yellow/black. and the dragon on my right forearm has nine colors.

Loving that tat bugoy! I'm thinking about getting something but still not old enough,but I got 2 years to think out something meaningful. Anyone have any cool ideas for tattoos?

ha. i designed that tattoo for my brother almost three years before he finally had it done.

anyone in san diego thats thinking about one... and wants good work for little money... hit me up.

ha. i designed that tattoo for my brother almost three years before he finally had it done.

anyone in san diego thats thinking about one... and wants good work for little money... hit me up.

if i can get my big butt there, you da first one i going call!

ahhh! seeso beat me to it! i've been toying wid the idea of doin this for a good 2 years now... still not 100% sure if i wanna. maybe over summer, when orly's prices drop. hrm.

for those of u that are unsure of gettin a tat, write down ur idea an refer back to it in 6+ months. if u still like it, then go for it. i've done this numerous times, an everytime, i scrapped the idea. otherwise, i think i'd have a huge mishmash of doodles all over my body. the only idea that ive liked so far is the tribal design.

The Filipinos in the forum may be interested in this:

http://www.apat-na-alon-tribe.com/

They are an organization that is dedicated to the revival of Filipino tattoo traditions.

9atwle.jpg

Those tats are pretty darn cool. I like when people stay in touch with their roots. What is up with his hairstyle all the way to the right? Is that like an old school Filipino mullet o' wha? Bring it back!!:p Apparently the term "tattoo" comes from the S. Pacific and it refers to the sound that is made when the bamboo needle is pounded on to inject the ink.....is that true?? It would be cool to get a tattoo that way....old school style...

Last edited:
Wow I was expected just a few little tatoos but NukeDoc and BUGOY have nice tattoos.. WOWOWOWO!

I was thinking of my tribal maori tat - but it wouldn't suit me because im white haha :D

These are the ones i want done:
russtattoo1.jpg

20070628160827204023474.jpg

^ that one is an idea of what island tattoos look like - im sure most of you know them anyway. I was looing for that pic and noticed that robbie Williams has a maori tribal tattoo and Steve-o off Jackass.

Im definetly getting a bob marley one - just not sure what yet. Soon. I was thinking brother Iz and his ukulele on me somewhere - i think that would look alright.

ive seen this. and ive done as much research as i could. and the only evidence of ancient filipino tribal tattooing is nothing as intricate. and no real meanings have been proven for those designs. the actual "tribal" tats done by the tribes that actually practiced them were but mere designs.

i know im gonna get a lot of crap for this. and its understandable. but unless someone can provide some real proof other than a book that was written under pure speculation, i just dont buy it.

now, dont get me wrong. the tats done by "the four waves" are beautiful designs. and its cool that they came up with meanings for their designs. but i just dont buy that its derived from the actual ancient practices of our ancestors.

one major sign: "tatak ng apat na alon" is tagalog. the tagalog language is from the region of luzon. but the only evidence of tribal tattooing in the philippines were from other regions.

sorry if im bursting anyone's bubble... but i will be the first to admit that my "tribal" design is merely a design, incorporating designs that i thought would be cool and cover up a previous tattoo that i had. basically, the only meaning behind it is the sun from the philippine flag incorporated into it. before getting it done, i did my research on the subject, and i ran into the whole four waves movement. and i just didnt buy it.

ive seen this. and ive done as much research as i could. and the only evidence of ancient filipino tribal tattooing is nothing as intricate.

I've seen pictures of these old Filipino men and women. They can get quite intricate.

philippineimage8iv6.jpg

tattoo1ts9.jpg

Now, I grant you that the tattoos seen on the Mark of the Four Waves' site can get much more intricate than the two pieces I have posted here. I think that's cool.

If I were to get one, I'd want the piece to reflect myself as much as it did my ancestors. To accomplish that, I would want my piece "updated," or incorporated with designs that reflect who I am today, as a Filipino-American in 2008 Chicago.

You may be seeing something similar to this happening in the Four Waves' work.

and no real meanings have been proven for those designs. the actual "tribal" tats done by the tribes that actually practiced them were but mere designs.

What do you mean by "proven?" There are historians apart from the Four Waves organization that believe these tattoos had many meanings. Kalinga women were tattooed to enhance their beauty. Men were tattooed after after a head was taken, or to signify age or seniority.

"...all the members—men, women, and children—of an ato may be tattooed whenever a head is taken by any person of the ato."

Today, it is common for one to mark one's body in remembrance of an accomplishment. Why is it so hard to believe that our ancestors did the same thing?

i know im gonna get a lot of crap for this. and its understandable. but unless someone can provide some real proof other than a book that was written under pure speculation, i just dont buy it.

I love you Arvin, but you need to do some more research, pare. The way that you're coming at this issue is backwards. They don't need to prove anything to you. They know why they got tattoos. If you really want to understand the tradition, it's up to you to do the necessary research.

I'm sure that the historians that have written these chronicles of Filipino tattooing traditions would take offense to your claim that their books were written under "pure speculation," as you say. They've done the research, these are their findings. If you want to make such a bold statement to refute their findings, be sure you can back it up.

now, dont get me wrong. the tats done by "the four waves" are beautiful designs. and its cool that they came up with meanings for their designs. but i just dont buy that its derived from the actual ancient practices of our ancestors.

When I look at some of the Four Waves' designs, I can't help but see a link to the pictures of the manongs and manangs I posted above. If you don't see a resemblance, then there's nothing I can say, other than that you may be blinded by skepticism.

For many of the Four Waves members, this is their life's work. I have a hard time believing that they just made s** up. Again, they have done the research. If you don't trust them, that's your prerogative.

Yes, there are many cases of reinterpretations of these ancient designs. But like I said before, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In fact, I welcome it.

one major sign: "tatak ng apat na alon" is tagalog. the tagalog language is from the region of luzon. but the only evidence of tribal tattooing in the philippines were from other regions.

This is the biggest red flag you've waved that indicates to me that you have not done the necessary research. Those pictures I posted above are from the Kalinga people of northern Luzon.

The Tagalog culture of the Pre-Hispanic times was totally different from its forms today. From a former tattooing tribe, the Tagalog culture grew steadily to accept foreign, especially Hispanic, Chinese, and American cultural influences, and their culture today remains the backbone and the representative of all other Filipino cultures.

sorry if im bursting anyone's bubble... but i will be the first to admit that my "tribal" design is merely a design, incorporating designs that i thought would be cool and cover up a previous tattoo that i had. basically, the only meaning behind it is the sun from the philippine flag incorporated into it. before getting it done, i did my research on the subject, and i ran into the whole four waves movement. and i just didnt buy it.

You "didn't buy it." This phrase says to me that you probably never will. And that's okay. You are coming at this thing with a skeptic's eye, and that's good. It's always healthy to ask questions.

But here's another question to ask yourself -- are they trying to fool you? Is this all just a big plot to get stupid Fil-Ams like us to get tattoos all over their body that mean nothing? Are they twirling their mustaches, laughing nefariously?

If the answer to that question is yes, then have fun swimming in unhealthy skepticism.

Apart from the nod to the flag, you said your designs mean nothing anyway.

Pintados(Painted Ones)

Return of the Headhunters: The Philippine Tattoo Revival

my words were strong and i realize that. and i knew that it was going to cause a brow or two to rise. i do, however, wish to apologize to anyone that i may have offended with the way i saw the whole thing. so a little bit of back-pedaling is in order.

aside from the first two pictures (which i admit to having never seen), ive pretty much seen all the other sites. basically, what it came down to is that i wasnt going to trust someone else with what they said my tattoo meant. during my search, i couldnt find any information on what each shape meant, and how it came together to have a personal meaning. so how is it that they are the only ones who know what any of it means and are the only ones that can put it all together? and for this exclusive information, i was to trust what their historians and artists told me was the meaning behind the designs?

i understand that there are tribes that used tattooing in their culture. and i also admit to overlooking the kalinga. but at the same time... as far as i can trace back, my family does not belong to any of these tribes. so why should i act like i am?

when people ask me why i love to get tattoos, i always answer with this quote: "a tattoo is an expression of one's self at that particular moment in time". by taking the design that would be given to me by someone else, i see it as if i am allowing someone else to give THEIR expression of MY self at that moment in time. so i would rather freely admit that the designs on my left shoulder, other than the "sun", mean nothing, than to have someone ask me what it means and have to say "well they told me that it means..."

every tattoo i have has a meaning to me. even my meaningless "tribal" tat hehehe. from the little cross between my thumb and forefinger that i did myself when i was 15, to the bamboo in the design on my right shoulder. so i can live with living in unhealthy skepticism knowing that i know in my own heart what my ink means to me... and not what someone told me it meant. so youre right, seeso, i still dont buy it. but i do appologize for the way i expressed myself. i was wrong. but had i not said any of it, i never would have been corrected and enlightened to those facts that i acknowledge. i thank you for that.

my words were strong and i realize that. and i knew that it was going to cause a brow or two to rise. i do, however, wish to apologize to anyone that i may have offended with the way i saw the whole thing. so a little bit of back-pedaling is in order.

aside from the first two pictures (which i admit to having never seen), ive pretty much seen all the other sites. basically, what it came down to is that i wasnt going to trust someone else with what they said my tattoo meant. during my search, i couldnt find any information on what each shape meant, and how it came together to have a personal meaning. so how is it that they are the only ones who know what any of it means and are the only ones that can put it all together? and for this exclusive information, i was to trust what their historians and artists told me was the meaning behind the designs?

i understand that there are tribes that used tattooing in their culture. and i also admit to overlooking the kalinga. but at the same time... as far as i can trace back, my family does not belong to any of these tribes. so why should i act like i am?

when people ask me why i love to get tattoos, i always answer with this quote: "a tattoo is an expression of one's self at that particular moment in time". by taking the design that would be given to me by someone else, i see it as if i am allowing someone else to give THEIR expression of MY self at that moment in time. so i would rather freely admit that the designs on my left shoulder, other than the "sun", mean nothing, than to have someone ask me what it means and have to say "well they told me that it means..."

every tattoo i have has a meaning to me. even my meaningless "tribal" tat hehehe. from the little cross between my thumb and forefinger that i did myself when i was 15, to the bamboo in the design on my right shoulder. so i can live with living in unhealthy skepticism knowing that i know in my own heart what my ink means to me... and not what someone told me it meant. so youre right, seeso, i still dont buy it. but i do appologize for the way i expressed myself. i was wrong. but had i not said any of it, i never would have been corrected and enlightened to those facts that i acknowledge. i thank you for that.

Im not offended - even though every single person in my family has a tribal tattoo ( all guys that is )... Doesn't bother me - different things to different people mean different things << haha! if that makes sense.

Not only is it tatoos that are tribal, numerous of fish hooks, greenstones, jades, tikis << all those are necklaces and they have a different pattern on them that represent stuff.. Such as these arrow tihngs mean how many sharks you have killed.

The tattoos that i posted wern't really designs ( i think you were refering to seeso's pictures ) but mine is silver fern which i cant even explain haha and the other is a samoan tatoo... its not actually a tribe tattoo - just a style i think :S

Not sure if i understood exactly what you said so don't have a go at me if im wrong haha :D

Top Bottom